O/R midpipe o2 CEL help

187Snake

Established Member
Hey guys I posted a week or so ago about different exhaust options and ended up settling on ordering an O/R pipe to see how that sounds first. Well after doing a little research I found out that many tuners won't turn off the 02s for you to get rid of the check engine light.. So I figured I should call VMP who did my previous tune to make sure they would do it.. Well they don't.. They will tune for it to run properly, but won't do anything about the CEL.

I want to get rid of the cats I have always removed them on previous cars and my previous tuners have never had an issue taking care of the CEL for me..

What are you guys without cats doing to fix this problem? VMP has assured me that the car will run fine with the CEL on and I agree, but I don't want a different issue to happen and me not know about it because the CEL is already on for the o2 code..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
If it throws another code won't that not show up also? Biggest pain,is having that code showing akk the time. I guess I had mine done prior to the latest bs as I have no problem with this

187Snake

Established Member
Dafreak: I don't think extensions would fix my problem.. Because the cats I would think the CEL would come on. I don't think the old MIL eliminators for terminators will work on a gt500.

Hillbilly: Yeah that is the problem.. Of course if I put a scanner on it I will see that an additional code is being thrown but I would have to keep up on it scanning the car to make sure there no other codes. I would just like it to be turned off so that if and unrelated issue happens the light will come on so I know I have an issue.

Is this a recent issue? I've never heard of tuners not wanting to turn off the o2s for you.. And I feel like I've seen other posts alluding to the fact that vmp did it for them?

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
From what i have heard there have been a lot if shops closed and fined for circumventing epa laws. Tgus they do not do it,anymore to stay ib business. Do not jnow if that is something the end user can turn off or not. Most likely not.

DaFreak

Established Member
Recent issue as of the VW debacle. I've heard it's a felony for tuners to turn off sensors now.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hey guys I posted a week or so ago about different exhaust options and ended up settling on ordering an O/R pipe to see how that sounds first. Well after doing a little research I found out that many tuners won't turn off the 02s for you to get rid of the check engine light.. So I figured I should call VMP who did my previous tune to make sure they would do it.. Well they don't.. They will tune for it to run properly, but won't do anything about the CEL.

.... VMP has assured me that the car will run fine with the CEL on and I agree, but I don't want a different issue to happen and me not know about it because the CEL is already on for the o2 code..

Brother, youre being fed a line of shit. I bought my Lethal OR H pipe from VMP 2 years ago along with one of their tunes. Tune did ok, but I had my secondary O2 sensors in and i had NO check engine light on EVER for a cat deficiency or O2 sensor related code. EVER. I WAS told that the rear o2s were on but accounted for in the tune.

Fast forward to now: Im tuned with Lund racing and on off road applications, the rear O2s are turned OFF in the tune. I have them in my OR pipe still because Im lazy and havent bought plugs or had them welded up.Im very happy with the results. Not a knock on VMP as there are many satisfied users of their services. But ive had both and I know Lund turns them off.

Now, you need to verify that your codes that are on right now is for either B1S2 or B2S2 or both. S2 pertains to sensor 2 which are the rears. If you have B1S1 or B2S1 or both, those are your air fuel sensors and there may have been a problem now or during installation. Those need to get diagnosed and fixed as your car wont run right. The rear o2s can be ignored.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Recent issue as of the VW debacle. I've heard it's a felony for tuners to turn off sensors now.

While a road going catted tune may require them to turn em on (and its a DAMN smart idea that they do), a performance off road tune should have no legal remifications. How the end user uses their vehicle is up to them. Lol tuners dont force offroad tunes onto unsuspecting high performance car owners.

DaFreak

Established Member
While a road going catted tune may require them to turn em on (and its a DAMN smart idea that they do), a performance off road tune should have no legal remifications. How the end user uses their vehicle is up to them. Lol tuners dont force offroad tunes onto unsuspecting high performance car owners.

Happy to hear that! Had a lot of these same questions recently.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If the growing trend is to make outlaws out of us that are running with no cats, there may be a solution. I abandoned my cats primarily because, at my horsepower level, I was afraid to melt the aftermarket catalysts. Some do it just for increased noise level, but that stage of my life ended about 30 years ago. I've been looking at some catalytic converters made by GESI (Global Emmisions Systems, Inc.) and marketed by Vibrant Exhaust. They're not cheap by any means, but hopefully it's a matter of getting what you pay for. They sound promising. I'm sure these won't reduce sound levels to the stock catalyst, but can't be as loud as running without one. I'm probably going to give these a shot at some point

Here's a video on the GESI cats.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Will do. I need to take some measurements because I'm not sure if that 4.5" diameter can will fit. It will require some tune changes because my rear cats are turned off.

187Snake

Established Member
Lexustech: Thank you for your insight. I have heard the name lund in the past, but never had any dealings with him personally. After learning from vmp that they would not be able to do anything about codes getting thrown, I decided to just bite the bullet and contact lund tuning. He said his tunes are for offroad use and thus will take care of the problem for me.

I went ahead and ordered a lethal o/r x pipe and a lund tune so hopefully this will be the setup I'm looking for.. If not I guess I will be ordering an axle back haha.

kwhodson

Established Member
If the growing trend is to make outlaws out of us that are running with no cats, there may be a solution. I abandoned my cats primarily because, at my horsepower level, I was afraid to melt the aftermarket catalysts. Some do it just for increased noise level, but that stage of my life ended about 30 years ago. I've been looking at some catalytic converters made by GESI (Global Emmisions Systems, Inc.) and marketed by Vibrant Exhaust. They're not cheap by any means, but hopefully it's a matter of getting what you pay for. They sound promising. I'm sure these won't reduce sound levels to the stock catalyst, but can't be as loud as running without one. I'm probably going to give these a shot at some point

Here's a video on the GESI cats.

I found the Vibrant 7830 which are rated for 500-850 HP for $385 on the internet. I have been researching these quite a bit myself. My concern has always been CAT failure on modified cars and from what I have read these should not have that problem...What I can't seam to find is a before and after sound clip. I don't want to quiet my exhaust down too much. If anyone with these CATs can comment on sound reduction I would appreciate it.

Ken

Sent from my Pixel XL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

blownbrainmustang

Established Member
Glad you ordered a new tune to take care of the issue. Luckily my tuner has made sure I have zero o2 codes with no cats

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Been wondering about this myself lately. I've wanted to get an OR-H, but haven't pulled the trigger yet as the CEL would drive me crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread