O2 sensor question!!!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I believe bank 1 is the front, and 2 is the back. It should also tell you upstream or downstream.

Brian97vobra

Established Member
RTStabler51 said:

Well you said earlier that it was in the back and LostRacer said it was in the front. And i still don't know which sensor it is???
I also did a search and couldn't find any concrete info...

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I just posted 4 links that tell you which bank it is!

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
Yes..I messed up in reading and just caught it.

Front bank is Bank 2

Rear Bank is Bank 1.

yes..that is my final answer. I apologize about the confusion.

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
LostRacer said:
Yes..I messed up in reading and just caught it.

Front bank is Bank 2

Rear Bank is Bank 1.

yes..that is my final answer. I apologize about the confusion.
More accurately stated:

Bank 1 is by the firewall

Bank 2 is by the radiator.

The "old school" method that works on any V engine is the bank set further forward is Bank 1. The front of our engine is onthe passenger side: "for reference."

Brian97vobra

Established Member
So Bank 2 should be the easy one to get to then? Because i got under the car today and saw that there are a total of 4 sensors. Two of them towards the front of the car, with one being pretty high up towards the engine (which looked like it'd be a PITA to change) and the other being closer to the ground. Then the other two were the same way, just a little bit further back towards the rear of the car.
Also how do you know if it's the two forward sensors or the two rear sensors?
Thanks for the help guys!:beer:

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
Sensor 1 is at the top. Sensor 2 is a the bottom..Same as for the rear bank.

That should be sensor 2. To verify that it is the sensor you might want to swap them. Sensor 2 from the front bank to the rear and vice versa. Clear the code and see if it comes back. If it comes back with the same code, your pre-cat may need replacing. If the code switches to P0420, then its a good chance your sensor needs replacing.

P0420 is the same as P0430 except it pertains to bank 1 instead of bank 2.

Last edited:

Brian97vobra

Established Member
LostRacer said:
Sensor 1 is at the top. Sensor 2 is a the bottom..Same as for the rear bank.

That should be sensor 2. To verify that it is the sensor you might want to swap them. Sensor 2 from the front bank to the rear and vice versa. Clear the code and see if it comes back. If it comes back with the same code, your pre-cat may need replacing. If the code switches to P0420, then its a good chance your sensor needs replacing.

P0420 is the same as P0430 except it pertains to bank 1 instead of bank 2.

Hey sorry it took so long to let you know what happened.... But i ended up switching the o2 sensors and the check engine light went out for about 3 weeks. So i thought the problem was solved. But a few days ago it popped back on. And i just checked the codes and am now getting both P0420 AND P0430. So does that mean that i have to replace both sensors? Or is the old code still in the memory, although the light has been out for few weeks up until now???

Users who are viewing this thread