Obd ii

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
are you looking for a generic obdII scanner or a vehicle specific?

Id try to find a used or married Diablow Predator for $100 if you are just needing something to pull or clear codes on your stang, and with the predator you can do a little logging as well.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
I've got a basic, basic, 50 dollar unit from advance. It works well but it just gives you the code you have to look in the book to figured out what it is. I've also got a 400 dollar model I use to scan peoples cars at work. It works well does data and everything. I know carquest has a pretty good one that was on sale for around 120. If I was still a vendor I could sell you one but Im not anymore. You could check your local store though if you have one.

hb712

Established Member
I work for Mac Tools tech support, all I do all day is answer questions about tools. Any of the readers listed below will work well for you. The lower end ones will not give you information about the code so you will need a way to look that up.

Mac Tools numbers:

ET50
ET75
ET80
ET97
ET1005A

If you want to bump up to an entry level scan tool:
ET2005AN
ET6830
ET3009AC

All these part numbers should come up on the web site.

For tools outside of Mac, I suggest a newer company called Innova. They are able to provide really nice entry level scan tools in the 400-500 dollar range. Actron also set the industry standard years ago for Global OBDII scanners. Pretty much all they did was make and perfect those before SPX bought them.

Edit: If you have specific questions I would be happy to answer them. I don't sell anything so I really have no reason to push Mac over anything else.

Last edited:

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
For just code reading couldn't you get the car to relay that info? Hold the trip counter reset button on startup and cycle through the given information. It's been awhile since I did that and I obviously don't have the car now so I may be incorrect.

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
If you want you can get a scantool.net product and use their free software or you can write your own which is what I did!

Users who are viewing this thread