OBX Longtubes Long Term Update

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
For the guys that have the OBX Longtubes setup on their truck...

-How has the system held up so far? Any leaks from the manifold gaskets/clamps?

-Any rust around the welds or from any other locations?

-Any discoloration so far from the heat or just from daily driving?

Just curious how the quality has held up so far.

SilvieBolt

The whore that’s blue
Established Member
I have the OBX LTs and they went through alot.
They went through winter with road salt, A blown motor spraying oil and engine guts all over the driver side header, two dyno tunes and driving it almost every day including in the rain this summer. Heres the verdict: For the price VERY worth it!!!! Yes it discolored(turned gold) especially where the oil splatter was from my motor explosion, No surface rust what soever, No rust around the welds (which the welds are amazing). I wish they came with cats but other than that I love them and its the best $500 I spent especially knowing the real Headers that the OBX copy from (DYNATECH) are $1200!!!!!! I put about 3000 miles on them. I have 2031 miles currently on my built motor. So yes get the OBX's
Mike

N20JUNKY

Established Member
I have them on my truck as well, and I made 656hp and 717tq through them with a silver bullet cat-back. It sounds nasty to say the least

SilvieBolt

The whore that’s blue
Established Member
I had the obx lt's hooked up to my old bassani catback and it sounded real good. I kinda wish I left it alone since it sounded real nice. I sold it and bought the OBX catback which together with the OBX LT's sound flippin loud!!!! I like it loud too.

Brahmus

SVT Cajun
Established Member
I'm considering picking some up also. So the cat looking think on their midpipes isn't a cat? I don't want it loud, but already have a silverbullet. Think I should swap out the "resonators" for some cats?

SilvieBolt

The whore that’s blue
Established Member
I'm considering picking some up also. So the cat looking think on their midpipes isn't a cat? I don't want it loud, but already have a silverbullet. Think I should swap out the "resonators" for some cats?

Yeh there not cats, theyre just resonators. I want to do the same eventually. I want to cut out the resonators and weld in some high flow bassani cats.
Mike

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I have them on my truck as well, and I made 656hp and 717tq through them with a silver bullet cat-back. It sounds nasty to say the least
Sound clips? Is it raspy any?

As for mine, there still sitting next to me. My longblock just arrive so it should be running in a few weeks. Cant wait to hear my truck with OBX and bassani catback with my built motor!!!:rockon:

kirst8404

Been Their Done That
Established Member
Since they are a total copy of the dynatech headers, I was planning on getting the dynatech cats. They hopefully will bolt right up without any modifications.

I haven started my truck with them yet, but the quality looks really good and the install wasnt too bad. Drivers side took 20 minutes. Pass side took 3 hrs!!!!!!!! Between the starter and frame was really tight fitting the header, but it eventually fit. Then the last bolt on the pass side took an hour to install. Used stage 8 bolts, dynatech clamps, reused stock manifold gaskets, and got extenders for the O2's.

Cant beat the price!!!!!!

SilvieBolt

The whore that’s blue
Established Member
Since they are a total copy of the dynatech headers, I was planning on getting the dynatech cats. They hopefully will bolt right up without any modifications.

I haven started my truck with them yet, but the quality looks really good and the install wasnt too bad. Drivers side took 20 minutes. Pass side took 3 hrs!!!!!!!! Between the starter and frame was really tight fitting the header, but it eventually fit. Then the last bolt on the pass side took an hour to install. Used stage 8 bolts, dynatech clamps, reused stock manifold gaskets, and got extenders for the O2's.

Cant beat the price!!!!!!

I got a hold of dynatech to buy just the mid pipes so I can just bolt them up to my OBX and they told me that I cant just buy the mids by them selves. But other than that the install you explained is right on.
mike

skipthedrummer

Established Member
Mine are chillin in the garage. I'm just waiting till I can use my grandfathers lift.

The catback sounds great though.

Also, If you need full exhaust, then message an ebay seller that sells the catback and the headers and ask for a deal. One store told me 900 shipped for full exhaust headers to the shiny tips.

kennster

Long Haired Lightning
Established Member
So are the OBX's that easy to install..that someone can do it in their driveway?????

i do want(HAVE) to keep the cats....
Also..parts ill need are O2 extenders and different clamps???

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Thanks goes to SVTLIGHT2000
arp stainless 12 point bolts (ARP 771-1003)
-they come in sets of 5, need 4 sets. apply thread lock to each bolt. i used the washers that came with them as well.

walker lap joint band clamps (WLK 33226)
-i used 4, nothing is welded in my system

bbk o2 sensor extension (BBK 1676)
- trim off the tabs on front o2 sensors, than they will fit. i took a knife and popped the tabs right off. you will see what i mean when you get them.

Those are part numbers from summit.

They OBX headers for $500 on ebay doesnt come with high flow cats. You need to get some welded on. I am not sure if they make some. But getting a shop to weld in cats is simple.

Brahmus

SVT Cajun
Established Member
So are the OBX's that easy to install..that someone can do it in their driveway?????

Easy, NO!! Expect to b!tch and curse through the entire thing. Plan for a full day to do it right, expect to find "odd" tools or angles to get to every bolt.

Can it but done in a driveway, sure!!! Helps if you know a contorsionist!!!

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
if i did it id have a pro shop cut the 3 bolt flange off the header and weld in a V-band setup... just dont like the 3 flange setup :p

SixtiesIron

Established Member
5 months i had my obx

I have full exhaust took full day was a PITA, then drove to exhaust shp to tighten everything down,.. needs mid throttle or more for full sounds very throaty, and growls nice, in the WOT,... turns gold 1 st day while ideling.

ernie

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
Well, I took the plunge and bought a set of OBXs. Very impressed on the quality. Good lookin piece.

I highly recommend if you are on the fence.

I will post pics/vids after installed.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have full exhaust took full day was a PITA, then drove to exhaust shp to tighten everything down,.. needs mid throttle or more for full sounds very throaty, and growls nice, in the WOT,... turns gold 1 st day while ideling.

ernie

Funny, I thought the Dynatechs on my truck were easy to install.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread