Occasional highway stalling in neutral??

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Essentially, at highway speeds, when I throw it in neutral or hit the brakes to stop on an off ramp/red light the rpms will fluctuate and sometimes the engine will die. It's caught me off guard a few times.

I had the problem with the JLT CAI, and now that I have the FIPK2 it's actually a little worse.

I've noticed a lot of oil gets into my intake and I'm wondering if the MAF sensor has some contamination. If that's the issue, can you clean it with brake cleaner?

Edit: I know on the '03's there was an issue which was solved by a dealer re-flash, but I was under the impression that didn't apply to the '04's.

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited:

Lethal SVT97

BLUEVNM
Established Member
mine had similar issue after i cleaned the air filter. car was idling really bad (like its starving for air.) i sprayed the maf with an electric cleaner, problem solved. :thumbsup: i was told that you can also use brake cleaner.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
I'm gonna go grab a can of that electric parts cleaner and try that out. I'm going to put a separator on the passenger valve cover also.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
it doesnt have anything to do with oil, and the maf is upstream of the pcv anyway.

If you saw how much engine oil was inside my intake you wouldn't say that. The JLT literally had engine oil running all the way down to the filter.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Haven't tested it out yet, but the MAF looked clean actually. I put an oil separator on the passenger side a few minutes ago also.

I did look at the passenger door and I have the AMZ1 program currently, and the newest one is actually AMZ2. RET told me they tune with the AMZ2 program and that it should fix the problem.

So as soon as I get my BF 2.76 upper, I'll get the tune. Hopefully that'll take care of it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
JPIStang said:
If you saw how much engine oil was inside my intake you wouldn't say that. The JLT literally had engine oil running all the way down to the filter.

I think he meant engine oil...
Usually the oil from a K&N type oil cotton gauze filter is what gets on the MAF sensor...

Did you see the post that Tucker from JLT posted up???
He has a PCV baffle that drains itself available now!!!
It's a nice piece!!!

Nearly 80% of the oil comes from the drivers side where the pcv valve is... :thumbsup:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
My 2 c says check out maf v reading when you do this, maybe air turbulance inside maf which causes injector pw to spike. I found several different ways esp ramming air down the intake causes a stall. You need a scan tool or flasher with diagnostics. I have the antistall cal. btw.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
I think he meant engine oil...
Usually the oil from a K&N type oil cotton gauze filter is what gets on the MAF sensor...

Did you see the post that Tucker from JLT posted up???
He has a PCV baffle that drains itself available now!!!
It's a nice piece!!!

Nearly 80% of the oil comes from the drivers side where the pcv valve is... :thumbsup:

Right. I don't think the engine oil actually made it onto the sensor, even though the oil ran all the way down to the fenderwell. As much as was coming out of the passenger side, I'm gonna be shocked how much the drivers' separator collects I'm sure!

No I didn't see the baffle...he didn't have that when I had the system. The only reason I took it off was for the MM STB. Stiffening the chassis is higher on my priority list right now.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
69gt4speed said:
My 2 c says check out maf v reading when you do this, maybe air turbulance inside maf which causes injector pw to spike. I found several different ways esp ramming air down the intake causes a stall. You need a scan tool or flasher with diagnostics. I have the antistall cal. btw.

When Greg tunes it I'm getting an SCT2.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
There could be a smoothing function for the maf signal, I don't know just when I was ramming air down at speed let off and put in neutral same time the maf v spiked and seemed to cause the stall that exact sec.

I changed the tube around no maf v spikes no stall. I'm running a 9" k&n w a straight adapter and a heat shield with a 4" tube off the brake hole to inner fender. If I change that tube 1" closer to k&n I get a stall sometimes. Don't know why these are so sensitive compared to a reg. gt. It used to be a real problem esp with this or that filter, cold air, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread