occasional stalling issue

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
I've been having this issue for a while now, but I havent gotten around to diagnosing it because it happens so seldomly, like once every 3-4weeks:
It usually happens when I pull the car out of gear while slowing down from a moderate speed, the engine would stall. When I crank it, it'll fire right back up with no sign of trouble. I got a code scanner from Kragen but didnt get any codes.

Looking for ideas...

svtcobra2k1

Dead Crawlin...
Established Member
Welcome to my world. Yeah I have this same problem with the car stalling once a week or so. Im not sure what causes this. The car sometimes soundsl like its choking or something. I think it may be the fuel pressure regulator. AT wide open everything is just fine. Not sure exactly what the problem is either so if anyone has any ideas help me out. Thanks.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
svtcobra2k1 said:
Welcome to my world. Yeah I have this same problem with the car stalling once a week or so. Im not sure what causes this. The car sometimes soundsl like its choking or something. I think it may be the fuel pressure regulator. AT wide open everything is just fine. Not sure exactly what the problem is either so if anyone has any ideas help me out. Thanks.

well since you don't have a fuel pressure regulator, i doubt that is the problem.

if you mean the fuel rail pressure sensor, that is possible, but pretty unlikely.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
no problems with idling other then some small fluctuations in RPM. Not using a chip. This occurs only when slowing down (braking and pulling the car out of gear) from a moderate to high speed cruise. I did notice sometimes the RPM drops down really low when I apply brakes in neutral.

svtcobra2k1

Dead Crawlin...
Established Member
Dont think so because we would have a problem with the car idling. Does your car die when it idles??? From what you say its only driving then coasting or going to a stop so its not the IAC. I really dont know what it could be. I have no aftermarket chip so thats not a problem.

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
do you have a JLT ??? if so. did you take the gasket screen out also ?? mine keep dying when coming to a stop. i put that screen back in. and solve the prob. i think a tune would help...

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
nope...thinking about getting one though..I still have the Densecharger that came with the car. there is no screen on my maf

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
the screen is to smooth out the air for the MAF to read. i dunno. when i had the densecharger with no screen, i didt have any probs. when i got the JLT without the screen i would have the stalling prob. i put the screen back on. and the prob went away...

99 svtcobra

have you guys dynoed your cars yet. Check your a/f ratio. Can be done using a wideband. Maybe your a/f is not right???? Just an idea. I will call some of my buddy mechanics from ford and ask them about it.

cobrafan

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
I had a dyno pull done awhile ago, but no wide band a/f ration measured. they had a tailpipe thing hooked up but I dont think its too accurate.

let me know what your mechanic buddies say.

green99_svt

Established Member
try this. unplug your iac. start the engine and dial the screw on the throttle body so the engine idles 50-65 rpm under your desired idle rpm. them remove the negative battery terminal reconnect the iac and restart. what you just did was set the idle when the iac is closed. many times when the clutch is depressed the iac will shut completly cutting all air to the engine. and as some throttle bodys completly seal the bore at idle the engine is choked. this is especially common on aftermarket throttle bodys.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
green99_svt said:
try this. unplug your iac. start the engine and dial the screw on the throttle body so the engine idles 50-65 rpm under your desired idle rpm. them remove the negative battery terminal reconnect the iac and restart. what you just did was set the idle when the iac is closed. many times when the clutch is depressed the iac will shut completly cutting all air to the engine. and as some throttle bodys completly seal the bore at idle the engine is choked. this is especially common on aftermarket throttle bodys.

Interesting! I've been having the same problem just like Serpentor described. Happens every-once-in-a-while after I got the JLT CAI. I was kinda thinkin' it could be spark blow out cause it would happen when I was coasting down from high speed w/ my foot on the clutch. I ditched the MAF screen too, seems like I vaguely recall the JLT instructions say to do that but I could be mistaken. Can you get another one of those at the dealershi 'cause I bent mine when I was taking it out so I just through it in the trash.

I'm going to try this IAC adjustment though. Thanx for the tip!

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
1. that little adjustment screw is a huge bitch to turn
2. I wouldn't mess with it.

3. i seem to remember this being an issue a while back and the maf seemed to be the cause. id try reinstalling the screen.

green99_svt

Established Member
it will turn but it has lock tight on it. the factory doe not suggest you touch it. factory reccomendations meen little when modifications exst outside what the factory has installed and indended to be on the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread