Octane booster

Robot_trainer

Established Member
I ran the stuff for awhile as I was getting a little detonation on 94 octane even when it was stock. After I put colder plugs in and a cooler T stat, I can run the Lund 93 tune with 94 ethanol fuel and have zero detonation now. If I were to track the car, I'd be looking for a good race fuel. Since then I've replaced the plugs, all 4 02 sensors, installed headers and new green cats.

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
In our experiences, octane booster is bad news typically, I'd definitely steer clear of that especially in these newer vehicles. Many of the most common boosters contain MMT which will leave a manganese oxide coating on everything that comes into contact with the exhaust. Many car companies including Ford advise against using anything that contains MMT right in the owners manuals because it can damage emissions equipment as well. If a vehicle comes in for performance modifications and dyno tuning with octane booster in the tank we normally drain the fuel and put in new spark plugs before running it on the dyno.
Thanks for the info man. Thats what I was looking to hear about.

RBB

Established Member
In our experiences, octane booster is bad news typically, I'd definitely steer clear of that especially in these newer vehicles. Many of the most common boosters contain MMT which will leave a manganese oxide coating on everything that comes into contact with the exhaust. Many car companies including Ford advise against using anything that contains MMT right in the owners manuals because it can damage emissions equipment as well. If a vehicle comes in for performance modifications and dyno tuning with octane booster in the tank we normally drain the fuel and put in new spark plugs before running it on the dyno.
This just confirms what we already know, octane boosters will turn plugs and O2s orange with deposits. This could shorten the life....

I’ve found quite a few threads on the Demon, Vette and GT-R forums. Those guys love this stuff and a lot of them run it all the time. No negative impacts if the posts can be believed. I’ve only found anecdotal evidence of MMT leaving deposits in the engine leading to hot spots and preignition. It makes sense, but no real world evidence seems to exist.

SteveWK

Established Member
Below are the ingredients of VP's Ocatanium and Octanium Unleaded. I got them from the safety sheets off of VP's website. Octanium is not safe for catalytic converters or O2 sensors because it contains lead. Tetraethyl plumb is the same as tetraethyl lead, and it is the lead that contaminates the cats and O2 sensors. Octanium Unleaded contains only MMT and therefore is advertised as safe for the cats and O2 sensors.

Octanium
  • Blend of Aliphatic and Aromatic Hydrocarbons
  • MMT
  • Tetraethyl plumb
Octanium Unleaded
  • Blend of Aliphatic and Aromatic Hydrocarbons
  • MMT

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
race-gas-104-002.jpg

nxhappy

Established Member
if it's bone stock you won't need the booster. The best IMO is Torco. Been using it for YEARS with the shitty CA 91 ...

Users who are viewing this thread