Odd Q: any 5.0 pushrod gurus?

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I know this isn't the correct forum for this, but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable guys on here and I was wondering if someone knows something about 5.0 pushrod motors.

We were told that this is the last year we can register the boat w/o reporting the engine serial number. We've got a '96 Four Winns Horizon 200 w/a 5.0 pushrod motor in it. I looked for the serial number several years ago and couldn't find it. The motor looks just like the motor in my '91 only the intake is spun around the other way. Anyone know where the serial numbers are on a '96 5.0?

Thanks,
Jim

01yellercobra

Established Member
Motors don't usually have a SN from the factory. However my boat has a plate on the air cleaner that has the SN. But mine is carburated and it's a Chevy 305. That's weird you have to report the SN.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Thanks for the input slo. I agree that it's weird that the SN has to be reported. It's odd that your SN is on the air cleaner too -- not very "permanent", is it? But that makes me think that I should look elsewhere, not just on the engine block.

Anxiously awaiting better weather so ski season can start!!! :coolman:

01yellercobra

Established Member
They probably figure not too many people are going to get rid of the spark arrestor since it's a pretty important safety feature. I know what you mean about waiting for warmer weather. I'm going to do the service on it this month so it's ready to go. I got really lucky with it though. It's a 2005 Searay that we picked up last May. It had 50 hours on it when we bought it. It's now in the mid 70's. I actually lost interest in my car for awhile and a buddy of mine couldn't understand it. Until I took him out one weekend.:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread