Odometer and trip odometer issue

avro206

Established Member
This might seem like often asked question but I looked through a ton theads and no one is posting a problem exactly like mine--or at least they are not describing it the same. So read carefully :)

I have just got a 1997 Cobra and the trip odometer and the odometer almost quit on the drive home (say 650 miles?) I say almost because most of the times they work-- SLOWLY. So the the mileage is out by several hundred KM by the time I got home. (the speedo and other gages are fine)

The first 300 seemed fine but then I arrived at a city about 60km earlier then I should have. That's when I really started watching. They weren't moving or moving very very slowly.

Secondly--on brief occasions they seems to be working fine.

Is the begining of a failure? Because it's taking it's sweet time to die!! Just die already!!:mj:

I am basically trying to see if I need the speedometer repair kit or if it's the motor? I don't know what the motor is---the real name or where to buy that.

Hope I have been clear:p thanks

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Is the tire size or gear ratios different from stock? Not sure I understand how they work slowly sometimes. It could be that the gears associated with the odometer are worn out. The odometer drive motor could be going bad or have a faulty connection.

avro206

Established Member
no stock tire size and gears. Odometer drive motor.....maybe I will get a new one and the repair kit.....

which I can't seem to find where to buy the motor......anyone?

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
no stock tire size and gears. Odometer drive motor.....maybe I will get a new one and the repair kit.....

which I can't seem to find where to buy the motor......anyone?

You could try a dealership and see if they still sell them. Or you can go to a pick and pull and get one out of another car and hope it works. I don't know of anywhere else that sells them.

Users who are viewing this thread