OEM fuel system: headroom for 200 shot of N2O?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Just curious, is there enough headroom in the stock fuel system of a 11-12 GT500 to support a pulley, intake, tune AND a 200hp shot of nitrous?

Recently researching Kenne Bell Boost-a-pumps and was curious if our Stock system could handle the job of feeding a large nitrous shot.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Drag racing and nitrous really go hand in hand, in my book. Especially if you are racing: in the heat, competitively, or just don't like to lose (LOL). It really comes down to cooling the intake charge and consistency. Heat soaked cars are not consistent, and hot weather really saps power, regardless of what blower you are running. Out where you are, I'd only race in the cool weather, vs beating the car down a 140* track, but nitrous could solve a lot of your problems, done right!

sleek98

Established Member
200 seems like a large shot but adding 200 hp via swapping to a tvs and a small pulley is kind of the norm. Getting large injectors and a BAP might get you there. I would start with a smaller shot and work your way up.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Would i need injectors though? I forgot to clarify i was talking of a wet shot of nitrous, so there will be a fuel solenoid as part of the kit injecting fuel.

I was leaning toward methanol systems, but having nitrous and the power it brings on demand is a nice idea, as is have legitimate subzero cooling effect to the intake charge when the nitrous hits the blower.

avgt500

Established Member
I currently run a 50 shot with a VMP and 2.4
The reason (in my own mind) is consistent intercooler temps when having to run multiple passes, I also have a C/R heat exchanger, on my first test of this was at NMCA west true street at Fontana last oct, it was hot, really hot, true street you do a 30 minute cruse and then 3 back to back passes, with no cool down period. My times actually went down with each pass, my last being my fastest.
I have the stock pumps, 56lb injectors and didn't mess with the tune on my 50 shot, Of course I'm going bigger next year, but I need to invest in a wideband before getting too stupid.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
^^^ Yeah this is exactly what I'm talking about. In the right circumstances, a less powerful car running nitrous, can beat a higher HP non-nitrous car due to better cooling of the intake charge. Heat management is critical at the track. Those 90+ degree days really take a lot out of the car.

avgt500, do you spray the whole pass?

sedanman

Established Member
I would think you need a BAP figure 550whp then add 150-175 more whp for nitrous and you get 700-725. You need less fuel then a tvs setup (at the same power) because you don't have the blower taking as much power as when it's spun a lot faster. I still think you will exceed the stock fuel system. The injectors should be fine because of the nozzle.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
They do of sorts, but not to the order that it seems would be safe to supply a large nitrous shot like im wondering about.

My guess is 50-100 is what a stock system could handle.

69b302

Established Member
N2O is basically chemical boost so would need more fuel just the same as adding more psi via a pulley/SC swap. My guess for you combo would be, no on the stock fuel system, but should work with a boost a pump. Logs your fuel pump duty cycle to be sure how much head room you have left.

Users who are viewing this thread