Off road X-pipe how loud are they.

Zeke0123

Established Member
considering this mod..How loud does it male the stock exhaust? I'm not so much worried about WOT but idle and normal driving..does it drone etc?

Zeke0123

Established Member
I'm old and I like my cars quiet...I'd like to gain the performance benefits without annoying exhaust..would this particular mod raise the volume to an annoying level.

Yellow03snake

Established Member
I've got the Lethal O/R x-pipe with the stock mufflers, It's not to loud at all, just about perfect for cruising around......but I like cars LOUD, so can't wait to get an axleback

Zeke0123

Established Member
I've got the Lethal O/R x-pipe with the stock mufflers, It's not to loud at all, just about perfect for cruising around......but I like cars LOUD, so can't wait to get an axleback

I know it's kinda stupid bit would you say it's 20% louder 30% could you try and quantify it for me? Or has anyone go a clip?

Yellow03snake

Established Member
I know it's kinda stupid bit would you say it's 20% louder 30% could you try and quantify it for me? Or has anyone go a clip?

Well, stock these cars are pretty much silent.

I'd go with 35-40% louder than stock, they should be about this loud from the factory in my opinion.

I could probably put a clip together over the weekend, Lethal has one on their website, but it is of a '10. I believe '10s have louder mufflers

lawdude

Established Member

With my 2010 and factory mufflers, loud enough 1) to put a big grin on your face and 2) scare women and children. At idle, nice subdued rumble. Oh, if you get the O/R version, be prepared to experience the true bouquet of a gasoline engine.

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
If you are old and like your cars quiet, stay far away for going catless. Here is a couple of clips of my 2010 with the stock catback and a o/r X pipe. It's louder in person!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEy0KzzPX_s"]YouTube- Lethal O/R X-pipe 2010 Shelby GT500[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnxqeGTb7mM"]YouTube- Lethal OR X-pipe Fly By.wmv[/ame]

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
What are people doing to protect (from corrosion) the stock harness connectors after installing the O/R X and subsequent rear O2 deletion?

Here are 2 threads with sound clips of the Lethal O/R X and stock exhaust:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...roduct-lethal-performance-offroad-x-pipe.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-lethal-o-r-x-pipe-installed-vids-inside.html

Edit, oops beat me to it.

I did not realize from the clips it was that loud! But, I was wondering about the stank. Could raise some eyebrows at emissions testing then. In Illinois they only check for codes, but the odor might trigger a deeper look, I suppose.

Last edited:

Yellow03snake

Established Member
What are people doing to protect (from corrosion) the stock harness connectors after installing the O/R X and subsequent rear O2 deletion?

You leave the O2 sensors wiring plugged in, there are bungs in the O/R pipe to screw them into

Your tuner can turn them off, or you can get MIL eliminators (plugs into the rear sensors to turn them off)

kent1

Established Member
You might want to consider a high flow cat mid pipe and get extra performance plus the sound will be a little calmer. I have a lethal high flow cats sitting in a box right now but have not installed them yet. The reason being I am also old and don't like loud any more-it causes too much attention and these cars don't need any more attention. :nono:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
You leave the O2 sensors wiring plugged in, there are bungs in the O/R pipe to screw them into

Your tuner can turn them off, or you can get MIL eliminators (plugs into the rear sensors to turn them off)

Ah, so the rear O2s get screwed back in! Got it, thanks.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
... I am also old and don't like loud any more-it causes too much attention and these cars don't need any more attention. :nono:
I agree on the attention thing, I don't want cops 2 blocks away racing to find me every time I get on it.

Plus I like to go for rides at 2 am and don't want to piss off all my neighbors.

I'll take another look at the high flow cats.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Look at high-flow cats. If you don't like the noise, I seriously doubt you will like the added smell. I know I won't go catless again. Some states have mobil sniffers too - they measure the numbers and mail you a ticket...no thanks.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
I have Flowmasters, catless mid pipe and resonators. Before i put resonators on it was way to loud and raspy. Here's a video of how it sounds. Very much like mine. But i think mine is a hair louder. Because i have smaller resonators. JMHO any performance mufflers with catless mid pipes will need resonators.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7cqR3WCNvg"]YouTube- Shelby GT-500 with Kooks, Xpipe & FlowMaster Delta 50's.[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ_AaJX3zPI"]YouTube- Shelby GT 500 with Whipple 2.9L -- 667rwhp @ 16psi[/ame]

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Are you a balls-out race track type? If not, get high-flow cats from one of the sponsors here. I'll let others chime in about dyno results. I suspect, depending on your current mods, you are talking +/- a couple of hp between a catted pipe vs no cats. If you don't like noise or the constant smell (imagine with the windows down), don't do it. bad bullitts car is freakin' loud on the vid and he says it is louder in person.

What mods do you have? Exhaust, aside from the mufflers listed in my sig, is last on my list after a new supercharger due to the meager gains w/o a new supercharger.

Last edited:

Seahorse

Established Member
I don't mind loud so much, just can't stand the nasty raspiness of the off-road X. So I went with Lethal's catted version too - just need to get the car out of winter storage to put it on :) .

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Their is NO rotten egg smell with out cats. "AT ALL' That was a problem with older cars when the cats would fail. You wont notice any difference in smell and has nothing to do with how rich your car runs.

Users who are viewing this thread