Offset Question?

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
I know a well places search would answer this for me so I apologize for having to re-hash this, but...

If one of the 03 Cobra replica wheel manufacturers actually decided to create an 03 replica style 10.5" wheel with an offset that would be correct for an 03 Cobra (what a concept huh) what would that offset be?

Thanks in advance.

E

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Oh, c'mon!!!

I've asked like 4 questions in the past month and they all generally just get pushed off into message board oblivion!!

Is the question too hard, too stupid, has it been covered to such an extreme that nobody wants to talk about it anymore?

What's up? :shrug:

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Revived from page 8. :p

Let me try a different question:

I need help understanding what an offset is in our case.

Factory 17X9’s have a 6.1” backspace (154.94 millimeters)
So on a 9” wheel, that’s 2.9” positive (73.66 millimeter) offset right? But you never hear of an offset that large when shopping for wheels so I'm assuming the thickness of the wheel hub comes in to play here. So, if I'm right, how does anybody shop for wheels since they give you the offset but not the thickness of the wheel hub?

Bad10th

Established Member
AFS makes the replica 03 wheels in a 17x9 and a 17x10.5...the offset and backspacing for the 17x10.5 is 27mm and 6.9 backspacing....the 17x9 is 26mm and 6.11 backspacing

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by Elapidae
If one of the 03 Cobra replica wheel manufacturers actually decided to create an 03 replica style 10.5" wheel with an offset that would be correct...what would that offset be?
Maybe THIS FAQ over at the Corral will help.

As for the replica wheel makers: As best I can tell, most (all?) of these replica wheels are being pounded out in China...probably all at the same plant. I suspect they'll never change the offset just for the Cobras...but who knows? :shrug: Plenty of people have asked AFS about changing the offset and they always say "No."

If the 10.5" wheel was moved outward between 3/8"-1/2" more from the hub, these wheels would work great with 315s and nobody would need spacers. I'm not sure how that would translate to the actual specifications of the wheel. It's a good question. :)

-Greg

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
So it appears the 10.5 replica wheels not only have more backspace to begin with (assuming that they came with the same offset), but the backspace is increased even more (making it more likely to cause a tire/suspension rubbing problem) because they have a larger offset. Sounds like they have it backwards. They should make the 10.5 with an offset of 14mm, and it would be just about right. Am I right?

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Thank you guys for responding. I think I'm starting to figure it out bu I'm still getting something wrong. Help me out with my bad logic please.

Stock 17X9 Cobra wheel 9" (228.6mm) Wide I---------I
Half width 4.5" (114.3mm)
Backspace 6.1" (154.94mm) (the distance from the inside edge of the wheel to the mounting/contact point/hub on the wheel).
Positive Offset (6.1"-4.5" = 1.6" (40.64mm)) is the distance from the mid-point to the wheel mounting/contact point.

I must be wrong because the offset is supposed to be 20-something mm?

I------------------I Wheel
I---------I Midpoint
I------------------I (Red is offset, blue is wheel.)

:??:

96tbird

Established Member
You have to use the entire wheel which is about an inch wider than what the measured width is. The cobra wheel is 10in. wide even though it is a 9in. rim.

10in total width
5in. half width
6.11in. backspacing
3.88in. front spacing
6.11-5= 1.11in. positive offset (~28.2mm)

Werd. I don't know why it doesn't come out to 26mm. With a 26mm offset it would have a backspacing of 6.02.

Russell

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Originally posted by 96tbird
You have to use the entire wheel which is about an inch wider than what the measured width is. The cobra wheel is 10in. wide even though it is a 9in. rim.

10in total width
5in. half width
6.11in. backspacing
3.88in. front spacing
6.11-5= 1.11in. positive offset (~28.2mm)

Werd. I don't know why it doesn't come out to 26mm. With a 26mm offset it would have a backspacing of 6.02.

Russell

Russell,
Thanks for that Info. I didn't know it was measured that way. That makes a big difference.
Perhaps the wheel is just slightly over 10" if the backspace is 6.11?

Thanks again,
E

Users who are viewing this thread