Ohio LEOs

Green92notch

Established Member
I was stopped tonight and cited for drag racing and impeading traffic. How ever. And the Officer said he had me on video twice and the other car i was allegidly drag racing on video once. I was under the impression that thier cameras are always on, but only start recording when the blue lights are turned on. Me and another car made a U-turn and were talking to each other and then there was blue lights. there was no officer behind us before the u turn. he must have come off of a road that made the u turn at..... I drove down. to the end of a road, made a u turn where the road dead ends and then he stopped me and the other car.

mainly i was just asking about the incar videos when they start recording.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
To my knowledge there is a couple different systems.

1.) Comes on when lights come on or can be turned on manually and left on all day if he desires

2.) Records all the time non stop. This system records in minute loops. So, if the officer hits his lights it records from that second on and the minute prior. This system can also be activated manually to record without hitting the blues

That's my understanding...someone correct me if i'm wrong

Essentially that's it in a nutshell.

Most newer in car video systems are digital.
We have this system in most of our newer cars.
WatchGuard Video DV-1 Digital Police In-Car Video System

The camera is ALWAYS recording to a hard drive and writes over itself in a month or so loop.
When we activate the lights or manually hit the record button it can place up to 10 minutes prior to "activation" on a DVD-R disk. Which is what the video/audio records to when we activate.
Again, even if we didn't push record or activate the record system, we could still go back 30 days on the hard drive and write any of that to disk if needed.

Green92notch

Established Member
oh, okay. i guess i will have to wait till next wednesday to see what he thinks he has on video. I Dont have a problem with cops at all except when they lie to you and try to scare you into thinking you did something wrong.

Green92notch

Established Member
Always best off being polite and saying as little as possible. This had to be a local cop as if you had been on a state road pulled over by a Trooper your car would have been towed and this would have been I need some bail money post :) Good luck with the ticket....

yea i didnt say much of anything besides i dont know what your talking about and some okays. does a cop have to write a speed on the ticket??

when the alleged "race" took place which it never did it was me making a dry run basicly we were a half mile from the end of the road. and all i did was go to about 70 mph which he didnt write on the ticket

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
yea i didnt say much of anything besides i dont know what your talking about and some okays. does a cop have to write a speed on the ticket??

when the alleged "race" took place which it never did it was me making a dry run basicly we were a half mile from the end of the road. and all i did was go to about 70 mph which he didnt write on the ticket

If you were stopped in the roadway you were impeding traffic. That one is pretty self explanatory.

When you made your "dry run", was the other car making a "dry run" too? When did the other car enter into the equation?

No, the officer does not have to put a speed on your drag racing ticket. But I see you've posted your speed on here. What's the speed limit on stated road?

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
And nycarpenter I think your posts will be deleted as you are not an Ohio LEO verified on this site.

Green92notch

Established Member
Always best off being polite and saying as little as possible. This had to be a local cop as if you had been on a state road pulled over by a Trooper your car would have been towed and this would have been I need some bail money post :) Good luck with the ticket....

If you were stopped in the roadway you were impeding traffic. That one is pretty self explanatory.

When you made your "dry run", was the other car making a "dry run" too? When did the other car enter into the equation?

No, the officer does not have to put a speed on your drag racing ticket. But I see you've posted your speed on here. What's the speed limit on stated road?

no the other car never even did anything. but there is like no where the cop could have been to get anything on video. he could have deff heard my car for sure. but thats not good enough. the other car pulled up next to me after the u turn and we were talking for about 10 seconds and we had alot of friends behind us. and then blue lights came on

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
no the other car never even did anything. but there is like no where the cop could have been to get anything on video. he could have deff heard my car for sure. but thats not good enough. the other car pulled up next to me after the u turn and we were talking for about 10 seconds and we had alot of friends behind us. and then blue lights came on

You forgot to answer what the speed limit on the road was. :shrug:

Oh well, you'll get your day in court. Hope it works out for ya. Street racing conviction comes with mandatory minimum 30 day license suspension and up to three years. Is a 1st degree misdemeanor punishable up to 6 months in jail and 1,000 dollar fine.

You might want to consult an attorney.

Green92notch

Established Member
You forgot to answer what the speed limit on the road was. :shrug:

Oh well, you'll get your day in court. Hope it works out for ya. Street racing conviction comes with mandatory minimum 30 day license suspension and up to three years. Is a 1st degree misdemeanor punishable up to 6 months in jail and 1,000 dollar fine.

You might want to consult an attorney.

im going to, the speed limit is 55 i think, i guess well see what happens. do you think its worth the risk of a court appointed one?

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
im going to, the speed limit is 55 i think, i guess well see what happens. do you think its worth the risk of a court appointed one?

You don't get to choose a public defender over paying for one. You will have to be eligible for a public defender. If the court determines that you can afford an attorney it's on your dime.

If your arraignment is Wednesday the officer will not be present at that. This should prove to be a busy week for you. You might want to keep those dry runs on the track next time. :thumbsup:

Green92notch

Established Member
You don't get to choose a public defender over paying for one. You will have to be eligible for a public defender. If the court determines that you can afford an attorney it's on your dime.

If your arraignment is Wednesday the officer will not be present at that. This should prove to be a busy week for you. You might want to keep those dry runs on the track next time. :thumbsup:

its next wednesday not this wednesday. i dont have a job right now im inbetween them, im currently looking for a job. ill be at the track from now on. the one time i dont really race and i get popped for it :bash:

Green92notch

Established Member
talked to a lawyer today. hell of a deal for a lawyer that my buddies have used in the past. Are you aware if ill be able to see said Video before my plea?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Not OHIO verified, but OH law is very similar to VA on street racing. And having had a camera car for a loooong time, the use of the video is completely up to the officer. Just because it is on video doesn't neccesarily mean he will use the video in court to prosecute you. I never took a video into court UNLESS it was an eluding case, a DUI case, or a stop where I searched a car and got illegal items. That's just me though. I've seen officers/troopers bring videos to court on stops for high speeds, and where people got down right nasty with the officer. Nothing like geting your fines tripled because of being mouthy!

Green92notch

Established Member
Not OHIO verified, but OH law is very similar to VA on street racing. And having had a camera car for a loooong time, the use of the video is completely up to the officer. Just because it is on video doesn't neccesarily mean he will use the video in court to prosecute you. I never took a video into court UNLESS it was an eluding case, a DUI case, or a stop where I searched a car and got illegal items. That's just me though. I've seen officers/troopers bring videos to court on stops for high speeds, and where people got down right nasty with the officer. Nothing like geting your fines tripled because of being mouthy!

okay thanks for the imput. im not trying to sound like some dumbass that goes out and breaks the law everynight i just know he cant have me on video doing anything. and i dont like being lied to.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
talked to a lawyer today. hell of a deal for a lawyer that my buddies have used in the past. Are you aware if ill be able to see said Video before my plea?

The government is under no obligation to provide you with a copy of the video prior to the initial appearance. After the appearance, if you plead not guilty and are scheduled for a trial date, you (or your attorney) can request Discovery. The government would then be required to provide any evidence (within reason) against you, for your review prior to your hearing/trial.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

The government is under no obligation to provide you with a copy of the video prior to the initial appearance. After the appearance, if you plead not guilty and are scheduled for a trial date, you (or your attorney) can request Discovery. The government would then be required to provide any evidence (within reason) against you, for your review prior to your hearing/trial.

If he talked to an attorney wouldn't he know this already? It's like we're giving his attorney advice on how to file a motion for discovery.

Two 'youts come to mind, anyone?

OP, did the other guy you were racing get a ticket for street racing too?

Green92notch

Established Member
If he talked to an attorney wouldn't he know this already? It's like we're giving his attorney advice on how to file a motion for discovery.

Two 'youts come to mind, anyone?

OP, did the other guy you were racing get a ticket for street racing too?
i havent talked to an attorney in person yet just on the phone. about the just of situation... and yes we were both cited for drag racing and impeading traffic.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
i havent talked to an attorney in person yet just on the phone. about the just of situation... and yes we were both cited for drag racing and impeading traffic.

I see, you should have specified. If you're so concerned about the video why wouldn't you have asked the attorney while you had him/her on the phone?

Even if there is no video it will come down to the officers word against yours. I'm willing to bet the officer has already been deemed a credible witness in court. It makes your defense of "the one time I wasn't actually racing I got in trouble for it" a hard sell. Not saying your a liar, just want you to face the reality of how it may play out.

Green92notch

Established Member
I see, you should have specified. If you're so concerned about the video why wouldn't you have asked the attorney while you had him/her on the phone?

Even if there is no video it will come down to the officers word against yours. I'm willing to bet the officer has already been deemed a credible witness in court. It makes your defense of "the one time I wasn't actually racing I got in trouble for it" a hard sell. Not saying your a liar, just want you to face the reality of how it may play out.

yea, i know how it may play out. im going to talk wednesday or thursday with the attorney. well see what happens after that.:(

Spectragod

Established Member
*removed by moderator - stating you arent verified as a LEO but posting anyway does not earn you a pass. Please read the rules and follow them*

Users who are viewing this thread