Ohio License plate

slow ld9

Established Member
Does anyone know about the Ohio front plate law. I got pulled over last night for no front plate, illegal tint & no seatbelt. One of my friends had told me that if there is no place on the front to put the plate, you don't need to. Anyone know if this is true? I have an aftermarket front bumper on the car. thanks

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
I only spent a 5 week TDY in Ohio but when I was there everyone (including a pretty nice modded Integra) had front plates. I'm pretty sure its required. Hopefully I'm wrong. Good luck.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by slow ld9
Does anyone know about the Ohio front plate law. I got pulled over last night for no front plate, illegal tint & no seatbelt. One of my friends had told me that if there is no place on the front to put the plate, you don't need to. Anyone know if this is true? I have an aftermarket front bumper on the car. thanks

It doesnt matter if there are no holes or mounting bracket, that is a manufacturers choice or your personal decision. If you were pulled over for it be rest assured that you indeed are required to have one.

My 87 GT came from PA which doesnt require front plates and there is no place to put the front plate, but by NJ law I am required to have one. So, I get stopped every so often for that same thing!

Get a front plate or endure the tickets!

Good Luck

slow ld9

Established Member
Yeah, that's what I figured. My friend told me he used that excuse & got out of the ticket. If it wasn't for my window tint I probably never would have gotten pulled over. I guess 15% wasn't a wise choice where 50% is legal.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Ohio requires two plates by law. That's why you get two plates from the DMV, there is a purpose for that.

Fabricate a mounting bracket or put it up in your windshield.

Brian Baskin

Established Member
Maryland has two plates, and I wear them both. However, about 2 years ago we have a bad snow storm come through, and I had my '94 Ranger. I went nose first into a snow embankment at about 5MPH, enough to tear the license bracket off, so I just stuck it in my windshield. Nope, not good enough :shrug:

I was sitting in the pickup area of BWI airport, while my wife was picking up her mother. As they started coming out, an officer came up to me, told me the plate shouldn't be on the dash, and told me to take a lap (ie, go the full circle of the pick-up area, about a 10 minute trip) :mj: Told him my wife was right there coming out the door, he said that they'd still be there when I got back...

So I guess each state has different rules regarding using the front plate in the windshield (and my windows weren't tinted)

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Originally posted by Brian Baskin
(snip)

I was sitting in the pickup area of BWI airport, while my wife was picking up her mother. As they started coming out, an officer came up to me, told me the plate shouldn't be on the dash, and told me to take a lap (ie, go the full circle of the pick-up area, about a 10 minute trip) :mj: Told him my wife was right there coming out the door, he said that they'd still be there when I got back...

(Snip)

Do I understand that in Maryland the cops can assess discipline/ punishment as well as issue citations?

'99Ranger

Established Member
Well doing that would have been better than the ticket. Here in DE I was told for sliding through a light ( I tried to beat it and got a little sideways after turning) That I was to go back and do it again.

slow ld9

Established Member
I wish this cop had done something like that for me. First thing he said was "I'm citing you for 3 things today..." Then he came back with the tint meter & the ticket.

'99Ranger

Established Member
Sometimes you get a cool cop and sometimes he just doesn't want to be there and will give you a hard time. Back when I had my old '94 ranger with the 4.0 V-6 (That had a lot of power for my first vehicle) I was pulled over for 100+ in a 65 and the cop let me go but last thursday I was pulled over for what the officer said was 74 in a 35 and he wrote me a ticket for it. He did drop it down to 44 though.

Users who are viewing this thread