Oil Capacity?

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
I didn't recieve the right Manual.I got a 02Gt manual.
What does it say about oil Capacity?
I change oil add 6 qts and it's only half way up the stick..

Jim V.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Thats exactly where I ended up at. about 6 1/2 qts. I couldn't find anything on oil cap. for our engine.

cobra racing

Established Member
You must find out what the capacity is, I have never found a dipstick that reads correctly. Ford even recommends that while diagnosing any oil related problems that the oil be changed with filter and refilled with the prescribed amount, then after running the car for 5 -10 minutes, shut the car off and allow a drainback period of 5 minutes, Then pull the dipstick and mark the new full mark. This is always accurate.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro

Jim V.
There should be an SVT addendum in your manual's "pouch", Jim. Lists six quarts, mine took 6 1/2...

HTH

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Guys,

Everyone gets the '02 GT manual. The SVT information comes in a little addendum.. it is 6 quarts.
Same with my 2001. It will read in the middle of the "safe zone".
It is not intended that we run it at the "top line".

Don't ask me why... I just buy and drive them. :rolleyes:

3rdstang

Established Member
I posted the same thread a couple weeks ago Jim. Most folks say they are getting anywhere from 6- 6.75. I changed mine last weekend and it took 6.75 quarts of Mobil 1 to reach the full mark. Weird how some folks take more some less.. Hope it helps!

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
I may be wrong here .. but it is my belief that it isn't supposed to read at the top of the scale...

Reading in the middle is where it is supposed to be.

Cobra'03

Established Member
there is no downside to filling to the line, and actually a small upside.

Any small variance between cars is almost always explained by how level the car is at the time of the oil check.

This is not a big deal topic anyway - given the anti-foaming additives in oil today, you could overfill a tad and do no harm whatsoever. Man, do we obsesss over our cars or what?

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by 3rdstang
I posted the same thread a couple weeks ago Jim. Most folks say they are getting anywhere from 6- 6.75. I changed mine last weekend and it took 6.75 quarts of Mobil 1 to reach the full mark. Weird how some folks take more some less.. Hope it helps!

Mine took 6.75 qts to reach full. What will this hurt having more than 6 quarts in the crankcase???

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge

SVT tech says to fill it to the mid point on the dip stick. If this is 6 qts. then your marks are properly calibrated. This is not a science but it is not good to overfill the crankcase, again per SVT tech.

Of course, a gross overfill is not wise. But per the manual, filling to the line is NOT an overfill condition, so the SVT Tech (whatever that is) is at odds with his own company. And the extra oil will provide more cooling capability, more oil additive available, etc.

Fred G

Established Member
Jim,
The manual says 6 quarts. Now, you know my car tends to sit, since I don’t get to drive it too often, so I checked the level the other day. It was parked about a week on a perfectly level garage floor, and the level was right where the books says it should be, right smack dab in the middle of the two lines.

See you Tuesday night.
Fred

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro

Jim V.

Jim - I got a 02 GT manual with my '03, also, and obviously that got in there by mistake. If you contact your dealer, they can order you the correct manual. Mine was able to do so.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
You know the 03 Cobra 4.6 does have an oil cooler which takes prolly 1/2 qt or so... This was my experience with my Expedition. Takes more...

Cobra'03

Established Member
Doesn't the cooler oil drain out when you remove the filter and pan plug, and wouldn't Ford figure total capacity in its refill spec?:shrug:

King Cobra 03

Established Member
if you goto the ford web site and register with MY FORD, then you goto resources and references and you can download the cobra owners manual. my car did'nt come with one dealer said they would get it for me. not going to hold my breath with those clowns!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread