Oil consumption

nast97

Gear Banger
Established Member
I'm sure this isn't the first post about this. Bout this car in January, had 24,000 miles. Just had an oil change to Mobil 1. Car just hit 29000. Checked my oil to find zero on the dipstick. Under hard acceleration I do see blue smoke. Which obviously means it's burning oil. I only had an axle back and jba orx. No tune. My question is, is this common in the 5.0's. Keep in mind I bought a new 5.0 in 2012. Traded it off for a truck and wound up trading it for a used 12 5.0. What will the dealership do?

Kornilov

Established Member
I'm sure this isn't the first post about this. Bout this car in January, had 24,000 miles. Just had an oil change to Mobil 1. Car just hit 29000. Checked my oil to find zero on the dipstick. Under hard acceleration I do see blue smoke. Which obviously means it's burning oil. I only had an axle back and jba orx. No tune. My question is, is this common in the 5.0's. Keep in mind I bought a new 5.0 in 2012. Traded it off for a truck and wound up trading it for a used 12 5.0. What will the dealership do?

Well, the good news is that you are still under the 5/60 powertrain warranty. The bad news is, Im not sure how you're running a off road x with no tune. Are you sure you the car wasnt tuned before you bought it?

Ive heard Ford say that some consumption is normal. However, if youre seeing smoke and the car is obviously low on oil after 5k miles, I would take it in to the dealer and have them look at it under warranty. Hopefully, you got a good dealer and they will take care of you under warranty.

nast97

Gear Banger
Established Member
Well, the good news is that you are still under the 5/60 powertrain warranty. The bad news is, Im not sure how you're running a off road x with no tune. Are you sure you the car wasnt tuned before you bought it?

Ive heard Ford say that some consumption is normal. However, if youre seeing smoke and the car is obviously low on oil after 5k miles, I would take it in to the dealer and have them look at it under warranty. Hopefully, you got a good dealer and they will take care of you under warranty.

I'm positive it wasn't tuned before. I didn't figure an x pipe would make a difference. Except maybe super rich

Kornilov

Established Member
I'm positive it wasn't tuned before. I didn't figure an x pipe would make a difference. Except maybe super rich

Well, your rear 02's are definitely not going to be working right with the cats missing. You havent gotten a CEL with the x-pipe?

Did you buy the car from a Ford dealer? Was it 'certified'?

nast97

Gear Banger
Established Member
It is not certified. But I work paint at the ford dealership body shop. So I should be ok. I do have a cel

scott_0

Established Member
two things, are you sure they added 8 quarts of oil? and secondly, how are you so sure it wasn't tuned prior to you buying it, and being returned to stock to trade it in. I mean you bought it used, meaning all bets are off as far it being tuned by the previous owner........

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If you see blue smoke with cats, you are burning a lot of oil.

nast97

Gear Banger
Established Member
two things, are you sure they added 8 quarts of oil? and secondly, how are you so sure it wasn't tuned prior to you buying it, and being returned to stock to trade it in. I mean you bought it used, meaning all bets are off as far it being tuned by the previous owner........

My buddy owned it before me

scotmach

Established Member
You reaally need to be running a tune for that off road x-pipe.

Not smart running with a CEL especially if something was really wrong you'd never know.

nast97

Gear Banger
Established Member
You reaally need to be running a tune for that off road x-pipe.

Not smart running with a CEL especially if something was really wrong you'd never know.

The car runs fine. Doesn't miss or anything like that. If anything it's rich. That's my opinion.

Will the dealer void warranty over an exhaust??

Users who are viewing this thread