Oil cooler adapter

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
Factory Ford part from a severe duty Crown Vic. Very similar to the FR500 piece I've been looking for forever. I had to tap the holes to 1/2" NPT, but no big deal. This part has superceeded the old one which came threaded. My current plan it to run it into an external thermostat, cooler, and then back to the adapter. Oil filter stays put, and I no longer have to run a remote filter to clear the MM K-member. I'm curious to see what happens to the water temp when the restrictive factory oil cooler is removed. We'll see.

oil%20adapter.jpg

They are available from Steve at Tousley. It cost me ~$160 shipped with the gasket and new bolts.

Oil cooler adapter: F8AZ-6881-AA
Gasket: F6AZ-6840-BA
Bolts (4): N806156-S437

Last edited:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Would that be needed on a car thats just a dd ??? or more for road racing or hot lapping the drags??

cause im seeing some road racing sig :) and I know shelby guys a rr

Last edited:

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
SNIPERDOG said:
Would that be needed on a car thats just a dd ??? or more for road racing or hot lapping the drags??

cause im seeing some road racing sig :) and I know shelby guys a rr

I don't think so for a DD. I'm concerned about the track. I saw water temps of about 235 on the last track day with ambient in the low 80's and would like to keep oil and water below 210. I'm pulling the bumper to shroud everything, and the cooler will add a quart and a half of oil capacity.

The only real mileage it ever sees is to and from the track so I'm not really worried about it.

racebronco2

Established Member
Does that adapter clear the alternator? I had bought one from a mustang gt but the inlet hit the alternator.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
Like Ash said, no time to mess with it yet. Carlos is correct in that the alternator will be in the way. The waterneck needs to be cut, rotated, and welded back on. Maybe in the next few weeks....

I've got emails out to people who run the FR500 motor, but no responses. Thats the adapter that I actually need, but was giving this a shot.

ddl6289

Established Member
Like Ash said, no time to mess with it yet. Carlos is correct in that the alternator will be in the way. The waterneck needs to be cut, rotated, and welded back on. Maybe in the next few weeks....

I've got emails out to people who run the FR500 motor, but no responses. Thats the adapter that I actually need, but was giving this a shot.

Thanks for the info and your efforts. What does the FR500 piece look like? Do you have a pic or a link?

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread