Oil Cooler Failure

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
The other night I left my Cobra outside (usually I put it in the garage) which means it was exposed to colder temperatures than normal. The next morning I started it up and pulled it into the garage. As I get out of the car to walk behind it to go inside the house I see a huge trail of oil from where I started the car to where my car is now currently parked. I look under the car and oil is pouring out from where the oil filter is located.

Afraid to start the car again, I pushed the car out of the garage, put ramps in front of the front tires and start the car briefly to pull up onto the ramps and to check and see where the oil is coming from. Well, the leak had mysteriously stopped. So I put my hand on the oil filter and wiggle a little bit while the car is running. Oil comes pouring out of a tiny little weep hole in the bottom of the cooler. I then hustle to turn the car off.

I decide to have the car towed on a flat bed to the dealership. The dealership states that there is oil coming out of the weep hole and that they'll have to replace the oil cooler. Duh! :bash: But, I asked them if they checked the tightness of the central tube that the filter screws on that passes through the cooler into the engine block. I believe this tube secures the cooler to the block. The service writer stated he would go back and ask the mechanic. Apparently the oil tube has an o-ring on it and the oil tube can come loose when removing an overly tight oil filter (I learned this by performing a search on SVTPerformance and reading that this had happened to other members). Well....it has been at least three months since I last changed my oil. Wouldn't it have leaked sooner? Something must have cracked internally in the cooler. The service writer stated that they checked it and it was still leaking.

My warranty has expired and total cost to fix is $750 parts and labor (drain the coolant, replace the coolant, drain the oil, replace the oil, burp the cooling system, blah..blah...blah...). I feel like I am getting raped. I wish I had checked the oil tube myself before I took the car in, but I didn't find out that this could be the problem until the dealer already had the car. It could have been a simple fix, but now I have to take the dealer's word for it and assume the there was an internal failure of the oil cooler.

Just a heads up if this ever happens to you. Take a minute to drain the oil and remove the filter. Then take the correct size allen wrench, insert it into the socket in the middle of the tube and try to tighten it. I guess I'll always wonder if the oil cooler actually failed or if it was just a simple tightening procedure that was needed. :shrug:

Charles236

Established Member
If you are paying for the repairs, then you have the right to ask for the replaced parts to be returned to you. I worked in a dealership for years, and the warranty required us to return parts replaced under warranty to the manufacturer, but parts replaced at customer expense didn't have to be returned to the manufacturer. If a customer paid for a repair, and wanted his old parts, I was always glad to give them to him, it showed him that I wasn't just doing a wall job on his car. I even had customers occasionally watch me do the repair, one man watched me pull his trans and reseal the front pump. Anyway, if the repair is legitimate, the dealer should have no problem returning your old parts to you.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Mach1chuck said:
If you are paying for the repairs, then you have the right to ask for the replaced parts to be returned to you. I worked in a dealership for years, and the warranty required us to return parts replaced under warranty to the manufacturer, but parts replaced at customer expense didn't have to be returned to the manufacturer. If a customer paid for a repair, and wanted his old parts, I was always glad to give them to him, it showed him that I wasn't just doing a wall job on his car. I even had customers occasionally watch me do the repair, one man watched me pull his trans and reseal the front pump. Anyway, if the repair is legitimate, the dealer should have no problem returning your old parts to you.

:thumbsup: Very good advice!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Most reputable shops have a policy to return old parts. My mom's dealership kept plastic bags on hand for just that. Every job where it was feasible had the old parts placed in the car when removed. Quite honestly, I wouldn't pay for a repair where I couldn't see the old parts...and I think that's fair.

Back to the subject...it's not unusual for these coolers to crack...and you may not be able to see the crack with your naked eye.

mosconiac

Established Member
Hindsight is always 20/20, but I would have gone with the Evans replacement fitting and used the remainder of the $750 to plumb in a remote filter (dual filters) & a real oil cooler. That stock piece is a real headache.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Hicompression said:
...snip... I believe this tube secures the cooler to the block. ...snip...

The "tube" you are referring to that the oil filter mounts to does not connect or attach to the block. It is only screwed into the oil cooler. No part of the oil cooler passes into the block. There is just a composite gasket there and a flat mounting surface between the block and cooler.

Good luck with repairs.

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
I called the dealer and told him I wanted the old oil cooler. He said that wouldn't be a problem.

The "tube" you are referring to that the oil filter mounts to does not connect or attach to the block. It is only screwed into the oil cooler. No part of the oil cooler passes into the block. There is just a composite gasket there and a flat mounting surface between the block and cooler.

So the tube threads through the cooler and attaches the cooler to the adapter plate on the block. Right?

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Oh...and once I get the cooler, if damage isn't visibly obvious, I have access to dye penetrant at work so I can find a crack if there is one.

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Well, I got the oil cooler back yesterday. What a hunk o' shit this thing is. It's got a cast aluminum body with a finned cooling system inside. The oil was pouring out the weep hole in the bottom. There are no cracks in the housing itself, it was an internal failure. Pretty scary...I guess that's why they put the weep hole in it to begin with so that you don't get coolant mixing with the oil and vice versa. I'll try to post some pics later...

I am very lucky I caught this, at the rate that the 5W-20 motor oil was coming out the weep hole (like water), I would have fried the motor in no time. Everyone who owns an '03-'04 Cobra needs to be aware that the oil cooler is a single point of failure that can ruin an engine when it lets go.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
This is OT but what is the best way to tighten the tube that holds the oil cooler to the block. It looks like there is a hex on the inside, for a special tool to tighten it.

My cooler came loose on my last oil change. I tightened it the best I could by hand then put the filter on tight. Anyone have a torque spec or anything for the shaft?

Ashley

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
This is OT but what is the best way to tighten the tube that holds the oil cooler to the block. It looks like there is a hex on the inside, for a special tool to tighten it.

My cooler came loose on my last oil change. I tightened it the best I could by hand then put the filter on tight. Anyone have a torque spec or anything for the shaft?

Ashley

Just for clarification, that wasn't my problem. Something gave way internally...it could be a crack internal to the cooler that is not visible on the exterior. It wasn't a loose center tube. I guess that's why they put a weep hole on the damn thing...actually they should call it a "pour" hole the way it was coming out of there...

WDW MKR

Established Member
mosconiac said:
Hindsight is always 20/20, but I would have gone with the Evans replacement fitting and used the remainder of the $750 to plumb in a remote filter (dual filters) & a real oil cooler. That stock piece is a real headache.

+1

It's a serious flow restriction and works to heat the coolant.

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Here's the pics...

Oilcooler1.jpg
Oilcooler2.jpg
Oilcooler3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread