Oil cooler nessasary?

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
I wouldn't call it necessary, but I highly recommend retaining it, or installing an external one. Your bearings, and oil lubricated components will thank you. Like it was mentioned before, they're put in place to assist in preventing breaking down the oil. If you ran without one, you'd see coking in the turbo, accelerated sludge build up, and reduced oil life. Just something to think about.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RJCarp2

Established Member
Nice .. how do you have it mounted?

Like I mentioned in my initial response, it's a 97 Cobra driveline in a 62 Mercury Comet. So I doubt my mounting setup helps you any. It's in the driver's wheel well mounted to the backside of the header panel, way up in the front corner. I have the fans on a switch controlled relay. I only ever turn it on at the track or if I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day. It will actually help stabilize ECT in the latter situation.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Just for arguments sake for the folks commenting that the factory cooler is necessary, the purpose of the oil "cooler" isn't really for cooling the oil, not primarily anyway. It is an emissions item. It is used to heat the oil to temperature faster. With emissions you want the coolant and oil up to temp as fast as possible. Also you want to maintain the temp to a set number as close as you can. This is why the extra bypass hose is there from the top crossover tube to the thermostat housing.

frank5o

Bleed Ford Blue
Established Member
Just for arguments sake for the folks commenting that the factory cooler is necessary, the purpose of the oil "cooler" isn't really for cooling the oil, not primarily anyway. It is an emissions item. It is used to heat the oil to temperature faster. With emissions you want the coolant and oil up to temp as fast as possible. Also you want to maintain the temp to a set number as close as you can. This is why the extra bypass hose is there from the top crossover tube to the thermostat housing.
This makes no sense to me.
So all the gt mustangs without oil coolers, dont need it for emissions, but the cobra does?

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

jgt58

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread