Oil cooler

zobes99cobra

whats the officer problem
Established Member
Oil was leaking from area around the oil filter. Tech took a look and said oil was leeking thorough a needle size weep hole in the bottom of the oil cooler. Anway just sanded and JB welded it...anyone else had this prob?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
wtf?
you had oil coming out a weep hole so you just put jbweld and sanded the weep hole?

what the hell kinda logic is that?

fix the problem, not the weep hole.

99cobrasvt

Established Member
I had a similar problem of oil leaking and thought it was all kinds of things and was even going to replace the oil cooler but found the problem. Unscrew the oil filter when you do this the stud or pipe that it unscrews from is hollow and goes all the way through and is threaded into the block. it holds the oil cooler on. anyway its a bolt that holds the whole thing together, an allen head or hex head socket will fit in it, forget the size I had to buy one. the last guy who changed my oil unscrewed the filter when he did this the hollow stud loosened, he didnt know it and put the new filter on. when I bought the car I started to notice some oil leaking and shure enought thats what it was that bolt was loose so better check it if ya didnt. Whenever I change my oil I allways check to see if its tight.

fatboyq

Established Member
99cobrasvt said:
I had a similar problem of oil leaking and thought it was all kinds of things and was even going to replace the oil cooler but found the problem. Unscrew the oil filter when you do this the stud or pipe that it unscrews from is hollow and goes all the way through and is threaded into the block. it holds the oil cooler on. anyway its a bolt that holds the whole thing together, an allen head or hex head socket will fit in it, forget the size I had to buy one. the last guy who changed my oil unscrewed the filter when he did this the hollow stud loosened, he didnt know it and put the new filter on. when I bought the car I started to notice some oil leaking and shure enought thats what it was that bolt was loose so better check it if ya didnt. Whenever I change my oil I allways check to see if its tight.

Can you find out what size the hex nut is? I have to do mine as it is leaking a bit and I think I need to tighten down the rod.

99cobrasvt

Established Member
fatboyq said:
Can you find out what size the hex nut is? I have to do mine as it is leaking a bit and I think I need to tighten down the rod.

Yes I can I will do it tomorrow on my way home from work because my car is stored away for winter.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
zobes99cobra said:
yeah i just replaced the oil cooler but you guys get worked up easily!!! thanks for the help

Tends to happen when someone mentions "JB Weld" and "oil leak" in the same sentence. Welcome to SVTperformance.com :beer:

Bad01SVT

Established Member
I had the same problem. At first I could not find the leak. My oil level got lower and lower and when I do not add any oil things just don't work well. I did blow up the motor. we did fix the oil cooler it is not a weep hole it is a falt in the casting. It is not supposed to be there. The oil was just pouring out of mine. When we rebuilt the motor, tore it all down and cleaned everything, it still leaked. So we re-sanded it and JB Welded it. No problems at all. There is another problem with the stud that you guys are talking about. I put some middle grade locktight on it. So you could still remove it without pulling the threads, but you will still have a problem when you change your oil. Everytime that you loosten it up the stud loostens. That size does sound right. But just from my experience that is how we fixed it. If you want a little more security you can buy a new cooler, my cost with the employee discount was about $160.00. But you really don't need it. Later,

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread