Oil Filter Relocation

Bosko

Established Member
Just changed the oil and filter today. And I dont like the how its such a messy job. You know unscrew the filter and let oil drain all over your car so you have to whipe it all off....

Does someone know where to get a Oil Filter Relocation Kit? OR does anyone have pictures of one installed so I can see where things go? This will be my mission for this week.

Or if there is not a kit they must sell it in pices or a generic kit. I just need the flange thing that goes on the motor/oil cooler and the new oil filter relocation thingy. Ill get Overkill heavy duty lines with fittings made up for custom fit.

AMB

Established Member
OIL FILTER RELOCATION KITS

KENNY BROWN AND MAXIMUN MOTORSPORTS BOTH HAVE A OIL FILTER RELOCATION KIT.

AMB

Bosko

Established Member
Just called MM for a price... They have 2 kits for us.

"Standard kit" $199.95
or
"Sever Duty Kit" $289.95

The Difference is the lines and fittings. Do thoes sound like good prices? or a little high ?

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
I am interested too! Where does it relocate? And is there a better price than 200?

Bosko

Established Member
Canton has a billet Filter mount ~$70.00

90° Rotating Remote Oil Filter Adapter Billet ~$60.00
22mm thread, 2-5/8" standard seal.

We are upto about $130... Now we just need a couple of feet of braided line and some fittings.

Last edited:

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
Originally posted by Bosko
Just changed the oil and filter today. And I dont like the how its such a messy job. You know unscrew the filter and let oil drain all over your car so you have to whipe it all off....

For what it's worth here's a trick that I use to avoid getting everything covered in oil when I remove the filter. I simply position a plastic bag loosely around the filter as I twist it off and as it comes off I let all the oil drain into the bag. Once the oil coming out has slowed to a drip, I place a rag under the drip and then swap in the new filter. Works every time and nothing gets oily!

-norcal_cobra

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
I just use a piece of aluminum foil over the rack and pinion to funnel the oil into the drain pan.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
I cut up a 2 liter soda bottle. Shoved under the filter, along with a couple rags, it directs the flow into the drain pan. Catches 99% of the mess.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
I cut up a 2 liter soda bottle. Shoved under the filter, along with a couple rags, it directs the flow into the drain pan. Catches 99% of the mess.

I do something similar to what Caveman does.
I just position a funnel up under the oil filter & loosen the filter while I let the oil drain into the funnel (complete with rubber tubing, so oil drains down into the catch pan I have positioned under the vehicle). Then just remove the funnel with the filter sitting within the funnel. It's not messy at all & hardly a drop of oil leaks out of the oil filter housing area (just tuck an old rag up there so nothing drips down onto the steering rack).
It's much cheaper than a relocation kit IMHO....

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Re: Re: Oil Filter Relocation

Originally posted by norcal_cobra
For what it's worth here's a trick that I use to avoid getting everything covered in oil when I remove the filter. I simply position a plastic bag loosely around the filter as I twist it off and as it comes off I let all the oil drain into the bag. Once the oil coming out has slowed to a drip, I place a rag under the drip and then swap in the new filter. Works every time and nothing gets oily!

-norcal_cobra

yup, ive used a pair of grocery baggies every time I change filters on every car Ive owned:thumbsup:

03DSGSVT

Established Member
Kinda interesting that my brother-in-law's 2000 Ranger has a built in funnel under the oil filter from the factory...!?

Too bad they can't carry that design over to the rest of the fleet...?

BTW, what I have done in the past with my off-road vehicles is to cut open an empty oil quart container.
Then remove the filter, and let it drain into the oil cont.

When you are done, remove the cap, and drain the oil into a catch can.

Users who are viewing this thread