Oil filter to oil cooler gap?

600RRgoal

Established Member
Is there supposed to be a gap about 1/8" between my Motorcraft filter and the oil cooler (where the filter screws onto)? I tightened it up by hand as much as i could and there's still a gap. Does the oil cooler have a black rubber gasket around it (the side where the filter screws onto) that maybe should seal the gap? I've changed the oil 3 times before this (all with small gaps between the filter and the cooler) and had no leaks until yesterday's oil change.. Can someone enlighten me as to whats going on? I cleaned the surface of the cooler and there's no old filter gasket stuck on it. WHY IS THERE A GAP?!?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
well there is a gasket on the filter, hence the gap. Unless there is a gap between the filter gasket and the oil cooler, then you should have a leak.

jzepp

Established Member
I am wondering the same thing.......i have a gap also......i thought it was suppose to be there. I don't really see it leaking. Does anybody have a pic as to what it is suppose to look like with the filter off?

Do you now have a leak 600RRgoal? Is it leaking onto the ground? I wasn't sure if the oil cooler was suppose to have a gasket on there also......as i dont see one.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
600RRgoal said:
Is there supposed to be a gap about 1/8" between my Motorcraft filter and the oil cooler (where the filter screws onto)? I tightened it up by hand as much as i could and there's still a gap. Does the oil cooler have a black rubber gasket around it (the side where the filter screws onto) that maybe should seal the gap? I've changed the oil 3 times before this (all with small gaps between the filter and the cooler) and had no leaks until yesterday's oil change.. Can someone enlighten me as to whats going on? I cleaned the surface of the cooler and there's no old filter gasket stuck on it. WHY IS THERE A GAP?!?

Did the rubber seal from your old filter stay attached to the oil cooler? Sometimes when removing the old filter, the seal/gasket sticks and becomes seperated from the old filter. Usually it is not noticed becasue of the old oil on the old filter. If this old seal is not removed, the new oil filters seal will seat against the old seal and oil presure will cause a leak between these two seals. Other than the issue outlined above, there ususally is a small gap for the thickness of one oil filter seal.

R

600RRgoal

Established Member
Well the thing is, i put a piece of s**t Fram ph2 filter on first, and almost immediately after starting up the car after dumping 6 quarts in, those 6 quarts started pouring out from underneath the car from the gap (huge cleanup). im HOPING it was just the Fram filter having a poor gasket, thats why i went and bought the Motorcraft and refilled the car with another 6 quarts, started up the car, and no leaks thus far, but i havent really driven it either.

Could jzepp and I get a picture of what the cooler is supposed to look like with the filter off? Or even a picture of how close the filter is supposed to be to the cooler? Im a little leary about driving it until i see what its supposed to look like

600RRgoal

Established Member
i made sure the cooler was clean, no old gasket stuck on it, and i properly lubed up the new filter gasket before i put it on

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
600RRgoal said:
i made sure the cooler was clean, no old gasket stuck on it, and i properly lubed up the new filter gasket before i put it on

I am kinda stuck on this one.......................

The oil cooler surface is a flat machined surface, the oil filter seal, seals against it. Just a small amount of oil, very small amount was put on the new seal with your finger, nothing excessive, no grease? the filter threaded on smoothly, easily?

R

Last edited:

600RRgoal

Established Member
it didnt go on VERY easily.. took some effort after getting it on there about 3/4 the way.. and after i tightened it as much as i could by hand, there was still a gap.. im going underneath the car now to see if the filter gasket is contacting the cooler surface.. im pretty sure it has to be because its not leaking

i used a small amount of oil to lubericate the new filter gasket, no grease or anything else

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
600RRgoal said:
it didnt go on VERY easily.. took some effort after getting it on there about 3/4 the way.. and after i tightened it as much as i could by hand, there was still a gap.. im going underneath the car now to see if the filter gasket is contacting the cooler surface.. im pretty sure it has to be because its not leaking

i used a small amount of oil to lubericate the new filter gasket, no grease or anything else

Usually the filter will spin freely once the threads are started and then becomes a little more hard to turn as the gasket contacts the surface. If it did not spin freely from the beginning, I would look at the treads on the oil cooler and make sure that they have not cross treaded. If the filter, for some reason did not thread onto the cooler straight, it most likely will not seat properly. How did the Fram filter fit while installing and removing?

R

jzepp

Established Member
ok......but the oil cooler has no gasket on it at all? it should just be a machined surface?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
jzepp said:
ok......but the oil cooler has no gasket on it at all? it should just be a machined surface?

The only gasket/seal I have seen on an oil cooler is on the block side, where it attaches/seals to the engine. On the filter side, as far as I know, the surface is machined and the filter does the sealing with its gasket.

R

Bullitt54

5.4 Anti-Venom
Established Member
Oil filter issue

Are you sure the new filter had the correct threads? There are a couple different threads used by ford, standard and metric. If you try to put on a standard filter on a metric thread or vice versa, it will go on part way and jam just as you described..... Just a thought.:shrug:

600RRgoal

Established Member
the motorcraft filter went on easier than the fram ph2

i just checked and it there is a gap about 1/8" and the filter gasket DOES appear to be touching the cooler

anybody else have bad experience with Fram filters?

Users who are viewing this thread