oil leak? need help

CDADEUCE06

Established Member
All,

I just returned from a two week vacation, my car was in KY where it got very cold during the last week. The car was parked in the garage. We moved it tonight and found motor oil on the floor, checked under and it looks like it is coming from the housing that the oil filter mounts and the oil pressure sending unit? Anyone have any ideas, I cleaned up the oil on the floor and wipe the drip from the housing to see if it is still leaking.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
It has been sitting for two weeks, right? More than likely the stud that holds the outside oil filter mount onto the coolant adapter plate needs to be tightened. You could have had a slow leak you did not see before and sitting two weeks with the cold temps let the gasket seep enough oil to make it visible.

You will need to pull you oil filter off and tighten the stud with a big allen wrench. Off the top of my head I cannot remember the exact size, so do a search on here (common issue). You can find the allen wrench at Sears (or a Kawasaki motorcycle tool kit - ask me why I know, LOL).

01vert

Established Member
Yep, common problem, just take off the filter and tighten the big allen as stated above.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i got the allen on a socket adapter at autozone for like 6 bucks i think...snugged mine up (not he-man tight) and the leak went bye bye...

CDADEUCE06

Established Member
Thanks all, I put a wrench on it tonight and so far it looks clean, I'll check it in the morning. I do feel bad I need to put her on jacks and power clean the under belly.

$12.95 metric allen set
$1.21 paper towel

Fixing your self price less!

Oh yea and a set of flexible metric socket wrenches that were on sale, $39.99 if you bought the roll of paper towel at least that’s the story the wife was told.

Users who are viewing this thread