Oil Leak/Oil Puddle on Intake Manifold Valley

SirKing

Established Member
First things first. I tried the search feature and even a google search but the end result was one of two things. Either the problem was the PCV line or the thread ended with no explanation.

I bought my car in November of 2014. Previous owner indicated there was an oil leak and he wasn't exactly sure where it was coming from. I even found some of his old post on this site where he is asking questions but with no end result. He ended up replacing the passenger side valve cover and oil pan gasket but that didn't seem to solve the problem.

With the car idling, I crawled underneath the car and noticed a decent amount of oil flug all over the place near the bell housing. It appeared the oil was coming from an area up top and dripping around the bellhousing/pressure plate.

I took the Kenne Bell off to get ready for rebuild. I took it off all as one unit with the lower intake manifold. Once I did this I noticed about a cup of oil in the intake manifold valley. It appeared to be more at one time due to an oil residue line. The heads and valve covers show no signs of leaks and are pretty clean.

The EGR has been deleted and the PCV line on the bottom of the intake manifold has been capped of with a plug. The PCV lines, both driver and passenger lead to a vented catch can. There was a small amount of oil in the intake manifold that was near the plug.

I'm some what at a lost. Im hoping someone can chime in.

Be jealous of my wife's sweet duct tape.

IMG_0201_zps27f9e04c.jpg

First photo is a general photo. As you can see, the oil puddle.

IMG_0202_zps8a899cc4.jpg

Another photo of the puddle.

IMG_0203_zps1fe73fdf.jpg

IMG_0203_zps1fe73fdf.jpg

IMG_0206_zps39915044.jpg

IMG_0207_zps39132d7d.jpg

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
pics are bad, what version KB do you have?Is the the Gen 1 with the Catch can?

SirKing

Established Member
pics are bad, what version KB do you have?Is the the Gen 1 with the Catch can?

No catch can. KB 2.6

Pics not showing up or are they just hard to tell what I'm pointing out?

Another thing that has been brought up is a seeping head gasket. Is this possible? Car doesn't blow any smoke and drives fine. Never had an issue.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
ok i was assuming a KB 2.2

See if you can fix your picture links.

So there are only a couple places oil can come from and end up on your bell housing.

1. Valve Cover Gasket
2. Head Gasket
3. PCV fitting on the lower intake manifold.
4. Oil pan gasket (Wind can blow oil all around often confusing people)

If it was #3. I would think your car wouldn't be running so well as that would mean you would have a vacuum leak.

Ae you 100% sure its oil? Have you driven/ran your car enough to notice if the oil level drops?

SirKing

Established Member
ok i was assuming a KB 2.2

See if you can fix your picture links.

So there are only a couple places oil can come from and end up on your bell housing.

1. Valve Cover Gasket
2. Head Gasket
3. PCV fitting on the lower intake manifold.
4. Oil pan gasket (Wind can blow oil all around often confusing people)

If it was #3. I would think your car wouldn't be running so well as that would mean you would have a vacuum leak.

Ae you 100% sure its oil? Have you driven/ran your car enough to notice if the oil level drops?

Ive probably only put a hundred miles or on the car since ive owned it. Previously owner indicated he added a half a quart between oil changes but the leak seems like it would be more than than.

There is about a cup of oil in the intake manifold valley, which the pictures showed. So I'll work on getting those fixed.

Im worried it might be a head gasket but I figured it would be running like crap and smoking.

At first I thought it might be a rear main seal, but the puddle in the intake manifold valley has me confused.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Yea oil can really only pool in the intake valley from head gaskets, valve cover gaskets,the PCV line, or from a modification.

Example, I was chasing a similar leak and it ended up being my KB 2.2 old style catch can. It was leaking into the intake valley between the lower manifold and head since only the ports are O-ringed.

03Steve

Established Member
Hit the intercooler with some O'Reilly's brake cleaner (stronger than Auto Zone). Note the color.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Hit the intercooler with some O'Reilly's brake cleaner (stronger than Auto Zone). Note the color.

I'm thinking he is taking about the block valley where the intake manifold sits. If it was inside the intake manifold that would be a different story.

cj428mach

Established Member
I think he is talking about the top of the block area.

This sounds exactly like when my old SB car burst the pcv hose on the bottom of the intake, it would pool oil in the valley, run to the rear of the block then out the plastic plug making its way to the bottom of the bell housing. The only thing is OP said that the bottom of his intake is plugged. I wonder if the intake could be cracked letting oil make its way through or the threads need some sealant on them for plug.

Blueline

Established Member
Who installed the plug at the lower intake you or the previous owner? I bet the plug was over torqued and it cracked the manifold. Inspect the manifold for any cracks or leaks, under boost it may be enough to have it leak. That plug is tapered if you go too far with too much torque you can crack it very easily.

SirKing

Established Member
Hopefully the pictures are fixed.

Not sure who installed the plug. Ill take a look at the manifold for any cracks but nothing seems to be leaking out of it currently, there still is some coolant and oil inside of it from removal.

I found out from one of the previous owners that the driver side valve cover was damaged during shipping. He indicated the ridge where the gasket sits on the back side up against the firewall has an inch missing/broke off. Ive tried my best to feel around this around but I'm seeing anything that would indicate the oil is coming from this. I would also think that gravity would take over and the oil would be going the opposite way.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Clean the lower intake manifold and make sure its good and dry on the outside. Fill it with water and just let it sit for a day. That will tell you if it is cracked unless its very slightly cracked and only leaking under pressure. (I Doubt its cracked.) I am concerned with how and why you have oil inside your lower intake manifold with the PCV removed. You mentioned your blower needing a rebuild. Was it leaking oil? This really could be your issue and that plug is slowly leaking while under pressure/running.

If the manifold isn't leaking and with no PCV system you either have a leaking head gasket or valve cover. With no other issues like over heating, oil in coolant or coolant in oil I would bet my money on the valve cover gaskets. I put RTV on all four corners of my valve cover gaskets to make sure they don't leak. If you said they were previously damaged start there.

Order new gaskets, remove them, inspect and if there is no damage install them correctly. This means cleaning all surfaces with alcohol, putting RTV on the four corners and tightening the covers down suing the correct torque sequence.

Last edited:

SirKing

Established Member
Clean the lower intake manifold and make sure its good and dry on the outside. Fill it with water and just let it sit for a day. That will tell you if it is cracked unless its very slightly cracked and only leaking under pressure. (I Doubt its cracked.) I am concerned with how and why you have oil inside your lower intake manifold with the PCV removed. You mentioned your blower needing a rebuild. Was it leaking oil? This really could be your issue and that plug is slowly leaking while under pressure/running.

If the manifold isn't leaking and with no PCV system you either have a leaking head gasket or valve cover. With no other issues like over heating, oil in coolant or coolant in oil I would bet my money on the valve cover gaskets. I put RTV on all four corners of my valve cover gaskets to make sure they don't leak. If you said they were previously damaged start there.

Order new gaskets, remove them, inspect and if there is no damage install them correctly. This means cleaning all surfaces with alcohol, putting RTV on the four corners and tightening the covers down suing the correct torque sequence.

You have to excuse me, I'm a noob when it comes to roots style blower. If the kenne bell was leaking would engine oil be coming out of it? I though it was self contained unit.

I found out that this leak has been going on for a few years now. Just need to track it down.

I'm going to be doing the water in the intake manifold tonight or tomorrow. I'll keep you updated on how that goes.

Thanks for your help so far.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
The blower has oil in it. If the deal was gone it's rotors would be covered in oil and end up sitting inside the lower intake. I don't think this is your issue as there isn't mich oil and it would eventually lock up. I mentioned it because I am unsure why you sent it out to get rebuilt.

If this is not the case, it's your valve covers leaking oil into the valley. Highly doubt it's your head gasket or something crazy like a cracked oil jacket in your block as you'd probably have other serious problems.

Users who are viewing this thread