Oil level problem?

Forged2000L

Established Member
Alright well if you didn't read my other post I just got my L a few days ago and since I'm waiting for the title I was outside going over everything again on the truck and making sure nothing was out of the ordinary. I checked the dipstick and almost fell over, there was barley any oil on the end of the dipstick. I bought the truck modded (check sig), so I'm thinking maybe they did a 4x4 pan, because I know on other vehicles I have changed pans on the dipstick no longer read correctly. I had the truck running a little earlier before I checked the stick and it purred like a kitten, the oil pressure was fine. There isnt a drop of oil under the truck or in the engine bay etc. Either way I will find out tomorrow when I change the oil with some RP 5w30. Just wanted to see what you guys have for input.

Dusten

Established Member
the 4x4 pan goes on the tranny....
But you could check under the truck and take a look, it may have a larger aftermarket pan.

Forged2000L

Established Member
Ahhh, I just say 4x4 pan posted a few times and figured oil pan right off the bat.

I feel smart now lol.

Bootbox

Established Member
Forged2000L said:
Just wanted to see what you guys have for input.

Unless you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge you don't really know how low you are without draining the oil (well of course normally you'd just check the dipstick.)

The stock gauge is a joke, it only moves down and comes on at the last second, when you're just about completely out of oil.

My guess is that your truck uses oil (mine does) and it's 2 1/2 or 3 quarts low.

Last edited:

Bootbox

Established Member
Yeah it's not the greatest. There's an issue with these trucks where the oil gets pulled through the PCV system under boost and gets all over the throttle body, blower innards, and intercooler/lower intake manifold galley. This ones easy enough to fix, just search "oil separator".

Mine is a combination of the above and the fact that I've got valve issues on 2 or 3 banks on my driver's side head. PS I'm fixing my head asap, promise :)

Dusten

Established Member
Bootbox said:
Unless you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge you don't really know how low you are without draining the oil (well of course normally you'd just check the dipstick.)

The stock gauge is a joke, it only moves down and comes on at the last second, when you're just about completely out of oil.

My guess is that your truck uses oil (mine does) and it's 2 1/2 or 3 quarts low.
he has a fairly new built motor... i would be pissed if it is burning oil. I say drain the oil, fill it wil 6 quarts and see how the dipstick looks

Forged2000L

Established Member
Dusten said:
he has a fairly new built motor... i would be pissed if it is burning oil. I say drain the oil, fill it wil 6 quarts and see how the dipstick looks

Yea, I'm going to change it over tomorrow after work and I will have to let you guys know.

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
Dusten said:
better off with 7, no??? i just changed mine this morning actually, and it took all of 7. stock pan.
Forged2000L said:
Yea, I'm going to change it over tomorrow after work and I will have to let you guys know.
i just covered this in another thread, but recommended oil in the L motor is 5w20. and im not too sure if the 5w30 makes a difference, just letting you know what is recommended

Forged2000L

Established Member
I did alot of research on the whole oil thing and it seems that more people from my area are running 5w30.

Forged2000L

Established Member
I havent had a chance to change the oil yet today, but I just got home for lunch break and took it upon myself to take the elbow off the throttlebody and I discovered a small pool of oil on the coupler and oil all over the throttle body. My dipstick is reading right at the first mark, is it possible Im loosing that much oil due to the pcv issue?

Robert Francis

Established Member
You shouldn't be losing significant amounts of oil due to the PCV issue. Almost all Lightnings seem to show this problem. Your best bet is to do as you said: start out with changing oil and filter - put in 6 qts per manual (do not put in 6.5 - 7 qts as some do), unless you have an aftermarket oil pan - strt your engine and run a bit checking for leaks - shut it down and wait about 10-15 min's for oil to drain back down and check oil level on your dipstick. If you put in 6 qts and you do not have an aftermarket pan and the oil level reads low on the dipstick - "do not" add more oil - just note where the reading is or mark it.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
It is 6.5 but that includes the filter so make sure you fill the filter to the top and then put the 6 in the pan.
RF, my blower will suck in quite a bit of oil even when i had the stock blower and moreso with the KB

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Don't go by the manual. Fords never right on the oil capacities specs. Fill it till the oil level reads full on the dipstick, which is 6.5 qts.

00SVTStrike

Established Member
Actually the manual calls for 5w30 in my 00. Even the SVT supplement does. I think they changed the recommendation on later years.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
00SVTStrike said:
Actually the manual calls for 5w30 in my 00. Even the SVT supplement does. I think they changed the recommendation on later years.

That is because, what I think Ford did around 2000ish they tested 5W-20 in the Modular motors and observed accelerated wear and all their test, then said 5W-20 is good to go now, so that's why there is a change.

My fathers 05 F150 has 5W-20 on the oil cap as well as my L. That's all I've used.

Measure the best you can how much comes out before you put new, to see how much was actually in there - then you can figure it out from there what's going on via your dipstick issue.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
00SVTStrike said:
Says 5-20 in my 2000 but you will be fine with either the 20 or 30. No big deal

Users who are viewing this thread