Oil Life

BLK_5.0

Established Member
May be a dumb question to some, but how much do you pay attention to your oil life guage in the dash? My 5.0 is my daily driver and I commute 17 highway miles to and from work each day. Right now, I'm at 43% life in the dash but am a couple hundred miles overdue for an oil change...I've called a few dealers and have gotten conflicting responses. One said that I should just go by what the dash says, and the other says to get it changed religiously nomatter what the display says. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

dmichaels

Established Member
There is lots of info out there, for a quick reference point, I put 4800 miles on Mobil 1 5w50 that I had analyzed and it still had quite a bit of "life" left (good additives, minimal shearing, etc), and that was with 3 track days (road courses) on it as well. The lab suggested going another 1000 miles or so based on the way I drove the car.

So go by miles - if you're at ~6000 and you drive the car hard, maybe go get it changed. And I highly recommend doing an oil analysis on the used oil as it will tell you how much life, if any, your oil had left and it will be a good estimate as to how long you should go between changes in the future.

Contact blackstone labs for a kit if you're interested. Really easy and worthwhile

vortecd

Established Member
I'm running Amsoil and went 10,000 last summer. Plan on doing the same thing this summer. My oil life gauge went to zero above 9,000. Amsoil says 15,000-25,000 before an oil change. If I would have changed my oil every 3,000 miles with anything less, it would have actually cost me more money for 3 oil changes

ajpturbo

Established Member
Disregard completely what the car is telling you. That information came from the Ford engineers and is completely erroneous and based on research....What a stupid thread

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
May be a dumb question to some, but how much do you pay attention to your oil life guage in the dash? My 5.0 is my daily driver and I commute 17 highway miles to and from work each day. Right now, I'm at 43% life in the dash but am a couple hundred miles overdue for an oil change. ...

BLK_5.0,

According to the owner's manual (which you can find here) you should be changing your oil when the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor alerts you, or a maximum of one year/10,000 miles, whichever of the three comes first.

Hope that helps!

Ashley

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread