Oil Pan Gasket Install, Need Some Help

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
So I am replacing my stock clutch with a Spec 3. Got the car up and tranny out and there is oil leaking from the oil pan, rear main, and the plate on the back of the block that holds the rear main.

Motor is still in the car because i don't have a cherry picker or enough time to pull the whole thing.

Passenger side motor mounts are loose. Driver side mounts are a pain to get to. I could pull the oil filter. Tried jackin the motor up but there still isn't enough space for the pan to clear the oil pickup.

I'm thinking about dropping the oil pickup into the pan then sliding it out. I see a bolt in the back 10mm and one in the front 8mm. There is something in the middle of the pan on the passenger side that looks to be connected to the pickup tube. I can't see any bolts there. Worried I might drop the two bolts i can see and the pickup will still be attached in the middle.

Anyone ever try doing this?

prostkr

Established Member
There is a bracket welded to the pickup tube that bolts to a main cap. Im not sure if you can get the pan all the way off. But the rear main is in the cover behind the clutch. I doubt the pan gasket is bad. Id replace everything on the rear cover and drop the pan low enough to silicone around the rear flange area after changing the gaskets ton the rear cover.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
make sure you clean both surfaces really good!! If you dont you might get leaks, oh and make sure you also put a sip of silicone on the 4 corners.

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
There is a bracket welded to the pickup tube that bolts to a main cap. Im not sure if you can get the pan all the way off. But the rear main is in the cover behind the clutch. I doubt the pan gasket is bad. Id replace everything on the rear cover and drop the pan low enough to silicone around the rear flange area after changing the gaskets ton the rear cover.

FML, the oil pan gasket is done now. i was trying to flex it under the pickup and it broke. The new one might be more flexable but it was 45 bucks so i don't really want to try. i'm getting a new rear main tomorrow when the dealership opens.

Damn I'm in a pickle now. I don't want to mess with a main cap for sure. I guess I'll pull the oil filter to get at the other motor mount and try and get it up far enough to slide the new one in around the pickup.

Thanks for your help.

milenko1247

Established Member
Hey whats up man. Ive been there, al u need to do is jack the engine up at the crank balancer. Jack it up alil and drop the kmember alil until u have enough room to clear.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1, i had a small leak from my oil pan and dropped the k memeber. Makes it super easy to do and done it before on other stangs.

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
Well I got it all back together finally. I didn't really have the time, experience, or tools to lower the k-member so after long deliberation I cut the new oil pan gasket between the front two bolts to work it around the pick up and added a healthy does of gasket maker to that area. Not at all what I wanted to do but it was simple and it will work.

All in all a long couple of days under the car in the garage.

I bought a bunch of parts to install but I couldn't use one of them. I bought the Maximum Motorsports clutch pedal lever bracket form leathal performance. After installed according to the directions two things happened. One: You know you have to push the clutch in to start the car? Well with this part installed the clutch pedal can't actuate the lever needed to trip the circuit to allow you to start the car. Two: not enough clutch pedal throw to adjust to be able to put the car into gear. Just FYI if someone reads this and thinks that part sounds like a good idea its not stay away.

New Parts: Maximum Motorsports Clutch Quadrant, MM Firewall Clutch Cable Adjuster and Cable, Cobra Bob shifter gasket, SPEC 3 Clutch, Forged Steel TOB Sleeve(stock sleeve sheered off), New TOB, New Pilot bearing, New flywheel HDWR, New pressure plate HDWR, Rear Main Seal, and Oil Pan Gasket.

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
What can I disconnect.. - Page 5 - SoCalTerminators.com Forums

here is how i did it... i was NOT jacking up on any of the motor from underneath..especially the balancer.. its just not meant to be.. peace!

Thanks!! I like this process way more. Jacking at the balancer is never a good idea so I did it on the A/C pump bracket and that worked'ish but cocked the motor. I just lossened my motor mounts because all I needed was a little flex to get a little more room between the pan and the k. It gave just enough room to work the new gasket on with the slit around the pickup tube.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread