Oil pan replacement on 93 F150 that could turn into a big job

mammothcar1

Established Member
Hey all, I need some advice from those with prior experience and some suggestions for alternatives.

I own a 93 F150 with the inline 4.9 with 110,000 miles which will need a new oil pan, it's pretty rusty and it's just a matter of time before it decides to leak all over the place.
Obviously, if it was an easy pan replacement, it would be a no-brainer and i'd get under the truck and do it myself, but it's not.
But unfortunately removing the oil pan requires the engine to be lifted at least partway, unbolting the transmission along with whatever else is attached and in the way.

So here is my problem.
I don't have the time or space to do it myself so I would take it to the local shop to have it done.
I know with this age and miles on the truck something is going to break and/or it'll be the old adage that, 'well since we have the engine out we might as well replace this, this and that'.

The body is in good shape, it'll probably last another 10 years and I've got a 4runner that can haul just about anything. I live in the DC/NOVA so I don't used the truck that much anymore.

So these are my options;
A) Replace oil pan and whatever else needs replacing while it's out. My mechanic said it's about a 5 or 6 hour job, it'll probably be $600 optimistically, but at the end of the day I won't be surprised to see a bill for $1,500 after we get into it.

B) Remanufactured engine

C) Sell truck

Has anyone had experience changing the oil pan on these things? Is it as labor intensive as the reviews make it out to be?
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Coiled03

Established Member
I'd go option A. Look at it this way: $1500 to last you another 10 years, you said. That's $150/yr which seems pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.

tistan

Established Member
I had to do an oil pump in a 4.9 and a 5.0. It has been probably 15 years, if I remember correctly, the 5.0 pan couldn't be removed from the cross member and I had to drop the pan and reach over the pan to change the pump, but I seem to remember the 4.9 pan coming all the way off.

MG0h3

Established Member
^^same as above. Really thought the pan could come out on the 4.9l but maybe my memory is off.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I think you can get the 300 pan out with minimal effort. However, if you want you can donate the truck to SVTP and we'll come get it.

pwrshft99

Established Member
Did a pan gasket on a 93 4.9 f150. Couldn't get pan completely free but was able to get low enough to work around it. Not fun

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
I have done a TON of reading on how to replace my oil pan gasket on my 1996 Bronco with 5.8L. Different motor, same body style essentially. I have concluded it’s not a job for me. Ford quoted $850+tax and is a 6.5hr job in their system.
Everyone on the Bronco forum says remove intake manifold, exhaust, and motor mounts. And that’s the lazy way they claim. Many suggest to just remove the motor. Again, not my skill level.

Good luck!

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
If cared for those 300’s run forever. If you have to remove the engine from the trans I’d consider doing the rear main.

Stick or auto? If stick maybe the clutch needs a look.

If the truck is clean I’d say go for it. Most of those trucks are long gone by now. You’re already prepared mentally for some minor snowballing.

mammothcar1

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies. I had the truck at the shop last week for a state inspection and to get the pan replaced.
He did the inspection but didn't get around to the pan. He knows what's involved with the job, and I think in the back of his mind he knows where it could lead.
I don't blame him either, he's busy and something like this could tie his shop up.
I'll check with him one more time before I drop it back off to see if it's something he still wants to tackle.
At the end of the day, It's a vehicle I just don't need anymore.
I've got the 4runner and the GT350 toy.
Maybe it's time to let someone else have fun with the truck.
Thanks again.

mammothcar1

Established Member
So I decided to bite the bullet and get the work done.
After I had stopped by the shop that usually does the work on my truck,
and I didn't really get that good feeling that they really wanted to tackle the job,
I stopped by the local Ford dealer as a last chance.

I spoke to the service manager and asked if he had anyone there that he could recommend to to do the job.
He said he has 3 guys that have been there for 30 years. Perfect.

After putting the truck up on the lift to get an idea of what extra should be replaced while the engine is up, they came up with this list.

Oil pan and gasket
Oil pump and pickup
New starter
New metal timing gears
New engine mounts
I'm going to add new transmission cooling lines, mine are bad.
And I need to get a new forward exhaust, there's a crack in the seam going into the cat. I'll go to an exhaust shop for that.

The only big labor hit I'm taking is the 6.5 hours shown to do an oil pan.
He's rolling in the labor with the other work since everything will be apart anyway.

Is there anything else I should consider having done while they're are into it?

cj428mach

Established Member
Can you not just wire wheel all the rust off the pan and paint it. The inside will never rust since its covered in oil so you only have to protect the outside.

mammothcar1

Established Member
Can you not just wire wheel all the rust off the pan and paint it. The inside will never rust since its covered in oil so you only have to protect the outside.

The thought did cross my mind, but after reading other forums, this is a pretty common occurrence with these pans and at some point it'll just start leaking through.

Right now, mine looks like I could take apply a little pressure with my finger and it'll pop through, I'd say half the depth of the metal is gone.

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member

Unfortunately they can and do leak through still. I had this happen on my 93' Grand Marquis oil pan. It starts flaking bad on the outside and you want to clean it off and rattle can it. It doesn't help that the spot is so weak and touching of it will crack it through the inside and your leak starts. I ended up JB welding half the pan and it held up for 3+ years I had it and it seemed like a great "fix" for an old beater.

Users who are viewing this thread