Oil pressure falling

allgo90

Established Member
I did a short 3rd gear pull today and i saw my autometer electric oil pressure gauge flicker as pressure was climbing so i let off immediately..It always holds 80+ psi when i mash the pedal.
The car still idles at around 25psi and cruises at 50-75psi, so what could be wrong?

Im hoping it's a problem with the gauge and not my oil pump...

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Check for loose wires first or if the gauge is a few years old replace the sending unit if the wiring checks out. I wouldn't think the pump would cause it then recover pressure.

allgo90

Established Member
Check for loose wires first or if the gauge is a few years old replace the sending unit if the wiring checks out. I wouldn't think the pump would cause it then recover pressure.

ok, going to check all the wiring now. Never seen the needle shake like that and its weird that it only happened when i was getting on it.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Could the pickup be getting momentarily starved at full-throttle? I know it sounds stupid, but check the oil level, it might need a quart.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Of course, it was on my OEM gage, but when I fixed the ground wire problem (Battery to engine block), my oil pressure increased a little, and stayed very constant. I'd check the ground (with a wrench, not an eyeball, or a "tug").:banana:

allgo90

Established Member
the oil level is fine and has about 1400 miles..im going to check the wiring but if it's only happening at 4k+ rpm im thinking the oil pump or oil pickup tube?

allgo90

Established Member
ttt any other opinions?

i went for another spin yesterday and it's definitely loosing pressure as i accelerate. Idling its at 25psi and cruising its at 50-75..when i accelerate it shoots up then the needle begins shaking and dropping down.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
sounds like a gauge problem. Id address that first, and be gentle about testing it.

Users who are viewing this thread