Oil Pressure Gauge - Bad Sender or Signal?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
So had the car out this morning. Cruise out to meet my buddies at the Sunday spot all is good, stop the car, get back in a few mins later fire up and the Autometer Pro-Comp gauge starts showing about 28 psi at idle, a bit low.

Not worried - figure oil is hot so reads a bit low. Start driving and the pressure moves to 40 or so and hits 60 above 2000.

Drive a bit more and the needle starts jumping around, 20 - 40 - 20 - 60 - 20 etc.

Holds at 25-28 for a bit, then starts to hold at 10-12, now I start to worry, but the factory gauge is still at 2/3 towards high, like always.

Get to where we're going park the car, let it sit, check the oil level, spot on.

Start the car up about an hour later. Oil pressure now reads 10-12 psi on the Autometer, factory gauge still normal.

After about 5 mins or so, Autometer drops to zero, factory still normal.

Motor sounds fine and car is running like normal.

so my first thought is the sender failed or it's electrical. I have not looked under the car yet.

Thoughts?

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
The factory sending unit is actually a switch, not a sensor. If oil pressure gets to low, the gauge drops all the way. Since it's showing pressure Ford thinks you're OK.

It's some kind of problem with the Autometer.

Steve

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
The factory sending unit is actually a switch, not a sensor. If oil pressure gets to low, the gauge drops all the way. Since it's showing pressure Ford thinks you're OK.

It's some kind of problem with the Autometer.

Steve

Yes I know it's the Autometer. I'm looking for insight as to it being the sender for the Pro-comp or the signal from the sender to the gauge.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
well after some added internet searching, seems it's a common issue for the sender to go bad when it's attached directly to the motor, vibrations kill them.

Spoke to Autometer and they have updated the design to help them live.

ordered a new unit today.

Users who are viewing this thread