Oil pressure gauge question!

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
I started my car this morning (cold start) and about 3 seconds of running the car the gauge went from the normal every day dummy light status to 0... I shut the car off immediately and after a few seconds re cranked it. The exact same thing happened... It worked fine for about 3 seconds then bottomed out to 0 in a hurry like it was unplugged) Does this sound like the sender is going bad, or am i just losing my oil pressure? (im hooking up a pod gauge to it when i get home, but wondering if these symptoms sound familiar to anyone.)

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
I added another qt to it making it a full 7 qt again... it stopped lmao. I know the dipstick can be off... but its where it is after an oil change... so I have no clue....

MT0911

Established Member
Honestly when you turn it on - if your factory gauge drops to zero and you don't hear a LOT of ticking/knocking/ bad noises - then you most likely have oil pressure. Like Brutal Metal said these cars have high cold oil pressure. My Cobra jumps up to the high 80's/90's. If I were you - I'd hook up a manual gauge to be sure, it's easy and only takes a couple minutes. I'm guessing it's your sending unit.

zPipes

Established Member
I dont even know why these gauges are even in the ****in car how useless they are.

Three21

Established Member
^^ This

You'd know if you had lost oil pressure. This happened to me as well, cleaned the connection and it worked again. Then went and installed a mech. oil pressure gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread