Oil Pressure inconsistant

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
When my car warms up the oil pressure will drop and then go back up. I replaced the Oil pressure sending unit today and it is still doing it. I wiggled the wire and it doesn't seem to have a bad connection or any effect on the gauge. Since Ford doesn't like numbers; I can't tell what the actual pressure is until I put a REAL gauge on it. It normally stays around the "M" but has been dropping to the "O"

Any other suggestions?

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
Is there enough slack in the oil pressure sending unit wire? When the engine torques the wire may get partially dislodged and you will notice the needle start to wiggle.

96 cobra

Established Member
I was under the impression the stock oil pressure gauge was just a graphical "idiot light", when it reached a very low level it dropped to the "low" level (unsure where that is), but otherwise stayed around the "M" ?...

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
Is there enough slack in the oil pressure sending unit wire? When the engine torques the wire may get partially dislodged and you will notice the needle start to wiggle.

There is plenty of slack. The needle bounces around while I am going to work with the cruise set. no change in rpm's or anything. I have been watching it for a couple of days and can't find any common factors other than the car being warmed up.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Our stock oil pressure sending unit is nothing more than a switch that closes at 6psi and sends the gauge needle up the scale. The position of the needle on the gauge is simply relative.

If the gauge is varying it probably is a wiring or electrical connection problem. As long as the gauge works at all there is oil pressure. It may only be 7 psi, but without a mechanical or real electronic gauge there is no way to know.

JBR87

Established Member
check the oil level lol... ( know you prally already did it) it might be as simple as a bad connection or pinched wire get the voltmeter out and test that biatch

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
I think I am going to get the bezel for around my factory gauges and add the oil pressure and water temp gauges. thanks for the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread