Oil Pressure Switch Fault

Jtaugner

Established Member
Looking for a little guidance on some code setting criteria. Driving home from work this morning, noticed the ABS light came on. Car drove normal, no noticeable changes.

Got home, hooked up scan-tool and pulled 3 Comm Errors and C1284 for the Oil Pressure Switch.

Will the C1284 cause the other comm errors, or do I need to bust out some wiring diagrams.

Thanks in advance SVT.

03 Codes.jpg

shurur

Established Member
The short answer appears to be yes.
Are you getting the oil light?

Check the sender and connector.
Sometimes the sender allows oil to leak through the center sensor seal and gunk up the connector.

If you haven't replaced the sender, I would do that first.

Iirc you can ramp the car and remove the sensor without draining the oil, then clean up the connector with electrical cleaner before putting it back on.

Clear codes and see what happens after that.

Youtube.

Last edited:

Jtaugner

Established Member
Are you getting the oil light?

Check the sender and connector.
Sometimes the sender allows oil to leak through the center sensor seal and gunk up the connector.

If you haven't replaced the sender, I would do that first.

Iirc you can ramp the car and remove the sensor without draining the oil, then clean up the connector with electrical cleaner before putting it back on.

Clear codes and see what happens after that.

Youtube.

No stored codes, no engine oil light. Only reason I knew something was off, was the ABS light came on.

The codes I pulled are from the Cluster. ECM / GEM had no codes at all.

Picked up a new sensor from Ford. I'll install it tonight and see what it does. Wasn't sure anyone had run into this type problem before.

shurur

Established Member
The last code and the sensor code appear to go hand in hand.

Then the second code and the third code seem to pair with each other at times.

I am guessing that you will find that the oil sensor connector will be wet with oil...I hope.

Maybe check your battery voltage while you are at it..and humor me by checking for loose connector next to the obd2 port under the dash.

Last edited:

Jtaugner

Established Member
The last code and the sensor code appear to go hand in hand.

Then the second code and the third code seem to pair with each other at times.

I am guessing that you will find that the oil sensor connector will be wet with oil...I hope.

Maybe check your battery voltage while you are at it..and humor me by checking for loose connector next to the obd2 port under the dash.

Seems you were correct. There was a little oil on the connector, someone had been there previously, replaced that sensor with an aftermarket one and used teflon tape.

Hard to tell if it is leaking from above the sensor, or from the sensor. Installed the OEM one, cranked up and ABS light was off. I only drive the car on Fridays, so next week I'll check for leaks and hopefully be set.

Thanks for guidance!

shurur

Established Member
Seems you were correct. There was a little oil on the connector, someone had been there previously, replaced that sensor with an aftermarket one and used teflon tape.

Hard to tell if it is leaking from above the sensor, or from the sensor. Installed the OEM one, cranked up and ABS light was off. I only drive the car on Fridays, so next week I'll check for leaks and hopefully be set.

Thanks for guidance!
It leaks right through the sensor itself and into the connector. I was hoping it was that.

Yup. Keep us posted. These posts matter, especially when you list the codes like you did.

If it is still leaking, then someone may have cracked the fixture by tightening the sensor too much. The fixture (manifold) is separate from the oil cooler..than God.

Good post!

Last edited:

Jtaugner

Established Member
Just a update, drove home today and the ABS light came on for about 3 minutes, then self cleared. Oil Pressure displayed the entire time the ABS light was on.

We're going to see Thor and I'll take the Cobra and see if it comes on again. Once we get home I'll throw the jack under and see.

shurur

Established Member
Just a update, drove home today and the ABS light came on for about 3 minutes, then self cleared. Oil Pressure displayed the entire time the ABS light was on.

We're going to see Thor and I'll take the Cobra and see if it comes on again. Once we get home I'll throw the jack under and see.
Shit...
If oil is still on connector, someone may have cracked the manfold by overtightening....hope it is that.

Or the codes have no correlation...and there a two separate problems.

Keep us posted please.

Users who are viewing this thread