Oil question?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Haven't run it in a car in a decade. I do have Mobil 1 EP in my small generator. It uses 1/3 of a quart to change the oil, so a bottle goes a long way.

marc1

Established Member
Why 0w40 over 5w50..? And is your car stock?

Car is completely stock and will never be on a track or in a sustained high speed scenario therefore I do not need the 50 weight when hot. Incidentally, UOA's put M1 0w40 as one of the best oils on the market today. My only concern with that oil (and any of the 5w50 / 15w50 grades I have also used in the car over its lifetime that weren't the Ford spec'd oil) is the higher Zn and P than is called for in the Ford oil spec and the slim risk of cat poisoning however, as I mentioned, I do not subject the car to extremes where I would get any appreciable blow-by. I change the oil once per year and the dipstick level does not move a single millimetre regardless of the mileage I put on so I doubt I will ever poison the cats.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I would think that if you are burning enough oil to damage the cats, the amount of zinc in the oil is the least of your worries.

STACKZ89

Established Member
Car is completely stock and will never be on a track or in a sustained high speed scenario therefore I do not need the 50 weight when hot. Incidentally, UOA's put M1 0w40 as one of the best oils on the market today. My only concern with that oil (and any of the 5w50 / 15w50 grades I have also used in the car over its lifetime that weren't the Ford spec'd oil) is the higher Zn and P than is called for in the Ford oil spec and the slim risk of cat poisoning however, as I mentioned, I do not subject the car to extremes where I would get any appreciable blow-by. I change the oil once per year and the dipstick level does not move a single millimetre regardless of the mileage I put on so I doubt I will ever poison the cats.

So what would be a good oil to run with a small pulley and no cats??

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Why 0w40 over 5w50..? And is your car stock?

Because the engine is designed to use a 40w oil. Amsoil 0w40 is one of their newest formulations and it is extremely robust.

I would think that if you are burning enough oil to damage the cats, the amount of zinc in the oil is the least of your worries.

Stop using logic.

barspen

Established Member
Is anyone running Mobil 1..?
If not what oil do u use in your Shelby?

I use Mobil 1 5w-50 oil as my pre- or post- HPDE supplement to Motorcraft changes at the dealership. Plus, it goes on sale at NAPA twice per year. Once my service plans runs out next year, I will most likely be running Mobile 1 exclusively.

I've seen some research that Royal Purple and Amsoil filters are the best quality verses many others on the market. I use RP filters.

Tons of info, analysis, opinions, debates, etc on the SVTP Oil thread mentioned in post #4.

Users who are viewing this thread