Oil restrictors

syclone50

Established Member
Ok I know where are several threads on this topic and I even started my own thinking my turbos need to be rebuilt. Several of you kind fellows advised to try restictors first.
I have read several post that have conflicting amounts that should drain after 30 seconds of idle. The most common number was 4.5 oz for 30 seconds of idle.

I tested my car tonight and with the engine cold it spouted out nearly 3 cups of oil for 30 seconds. Holy shit thats 30-32 Oz. Way to much I would say. I am sure it would make some difference if the car was warm but not that much.

I bought some .35 jets and was going to install them but wanted to make sure we all agree I need them after nearly 3 cups came out of the one side!??!!?

JTS_7

Established Member
4.5 oz sounds a little light. I would say 10-15 is acceptable with a properly sized and run drain, 32 is fairly high with on3 -10 provided hose. You will get varying answers due to different turbos and oil pressures.

You should be fine in the .030-036 range <- make sure not .35 but .035

syclone50

Established Member
JTS I swapped in the restrictors and ran the test again. I got about 13-15 oz. So I will give that a try.

Thanks for your help!

JTS_7

Established Member
JTS I swapped in the restrictors and ran the test again. I got about 13-15 oz. So I will give that a try.

Thanks for your help!

Hopefully it works out for you. I would give it a couple days before making a conclusion, there might be residual oil that needs to burn off in areas. But if your turbos have no noticeable shaft play or wheel damage,I doubt they need a rebuild.

All I ever hear is "my on3 turbos smoke". Yet on3 swears their restrictors work fine and it must be install error.

What it is, as you have seen in your testing also, too much oil going into a -10 drain for these turbos.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I would have replied earlier but tapatalk is being a bitch. I did the nitrous jet thing yesterday and had a decent leak on one side. just wanted anyone else that saw this to check their adapters when you do this mod. one adapter had the hole drilled off center. If you see this just drill your hole bigger until the jet can become centered on the adapter or it will leak. so far so good but I still have my scavenge pump too. when I get less lazy I will bypass the pump and see what happens.

oh yea I used NX jets.

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Follow up for my nitrous jet oil restrictor mod. Put about 100 miles on the car in the city. No issues with smoke anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread