Oil temp hot

Softballer77

Established Member
I ordered my Shelby without the track pack thinking id be mostly doing drag strip passes. Well, I have been doing quite a bit of rallys and have noticed my oil temp gets up there a bit. Just did one this past weekend and I had to get out of it as it was really getting up there.

For the non-track pack peeps. What can we do to help bring the oil temps down during long stretches of high speed? More efficient heat exchanger? Better radiator? Lower thermostat?

Was thinking Van had some info somewhere he posted at one time on this. Could be wrong though.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I ordered my Shelby without the track pack thinking id be mostly doing drag strip passes. Well, I have been doing quite a bit of rallys and have noticed my oil temp gets up there a bit. Just did one this past weekend and I had to get out of it as it was really getting up there.

For the non-track pack peeps. What can we do to help bring the oil temps down during long stretches of high speed? More efficient heat exchanger? Better radiator? Lower thermostat?

Was thinking Van had some info somewhere he posted at one time on this. Could be wrong though.

Installing a low temp stat will lower coolant temps which in turn will lower oil temp. U have an oil cooler also but it is oil to water tp cars are oil to air.

An afkt oil to air cooler is your next move if just changing the tstat doesn't lower the temps enough. Just remember your car will take longer to reach operating temp with a stat change if u drive in cold climates.

Tony

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If doing longer runs, if think a trunk ice tank would do well too.
Good synthetic oil, lower stat, fan tune, water wetter are all basics.
I'd agree on how high is too high, I'm a drag guy not sure what experienced guys like Van get concerned about with oil temps.
Couple sources have oil cooler options to replace the factory log style.
-J

Softballer77

Established Member
I'm not sure how hot it actually got as it wasn't being data logged or anything. I just began watching the oil temp gauge (which I know is "ish" as hell). I've tapped the red once or twice on that particular gauge. On the next rally I may log it.

Swapping the stat I will do. I retune for everything, but not sure if just a t-stat it would really be needed. As far as the fans turning on earlier, I'd like to think doing 150 would provide plenty of airflow as it is...

I will check into some aftermarket oil coolers I guess.

Thanks guys.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Cool man, good idea.
I'm moving to the N gauge just for the live gauge possibilities and easy data logs.
I'm hoping Van our resident road course guru has input about oil temps.
-J

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I don't have PP. I have tracked mine in 20 minute sessions and get rather enthusiastic and have never seen a temp to worry about. I would be curious to see some real numbers before touching anything. This was in 80 degree weather with a max speed of 140.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread