Oily Plug

tcdavis

Established Member
Changed the spark plugs today to try and fix a bad vibration/loss of power issue. One of the plugs was very oily. others seemed to have traces of oil as well. Just wanted to run this by you guys for what my next step should be...when money permits of course. Oh, it did help the vibration/loss of power issue. Also, I didn't llike the way the coil boots fitted...there was not a good ole click and didn't take much effort to loosen some of them from spark plug. Anyway, thanks in advace for any help

01yellercobra

Established Member
I responded in your other thread. It depends on where the oil is. If it's on the top part part by the threads then it's the grommets that seal the spark plug holes. If it's on the ceramic part that's in the combustion chamber then it's rings or valve seals.

tcdavis

Established Member
definitely all over the threads...don't think on the ceramic, but above thread to the nut. Car is already missing again, like only hitting on 7 Cylinders. Gonna price the COP's. ughh

01yellercobra

Established Member
Sounds like the grommets are bad. When you pulled the COPs did you look at the boots and wires?

tcdavis

Established Member
yeah sure did. at least one boot had what looked like rust on it, seems some just looked old...the wires? you mean at the connector on the coils? they seemed fine. found my self messin with the "wire" inside the boots ie adding dielectric grease and wondering what the brown gunk was on couple of them. Just got back from drive and its not running good at all. feels like cylinder not getting fire to me but i don't know. frustrated. i will probably buy a coil and swap out one or two tomorrow

01yellercobra

Established Member
I meant the "wire" inside the boot. It looks more like a spring. If the boots are tore up they'll let electricity short to the valve cover. Which could cause the engine to misfire. The old school way to check was to pop the hood in the dark and watch for a light show. I would look into replacing the boots and wires inside the boot. It might be cheaper then a new coil.

tcdavis

Established Member
ok, yes I noticed that was cheaper/ Car is in shop/ will let you know what they said. Guy at O'Reilly's recommended this shop close by, there where 4 or 5 Mustangs there when I drove up, one had a drag shoot. Thanks for you help

tcdavis

Established Member
Shop said its probably the flywheel. He has a steel flywheel he can use to verify. 200.00 labor so I'm gonna let him fix it for me.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I meant the "wire" inside the boot. It looks more like a spring. If the boots are tore up they'll let electricity short to the valve cover. Which could cause the engine to misfire. The old school way to check was to pop the hood in the dark and watch for a light show. I would look into replacing the boots and wires inside the boot. It might be cheaper then a new coil.

Can buy a COP tester,,inserts between COP and plug...see the spark when firing

01yellercobra

Established Member
That'll tell you that the COP is getting power, but it won't tell you if the spark is shorting to ground before it gets to the plug.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

tcdavis

Established Member
Well, still a day away from finding out if its the flywheel causing such a ruckus. Started new job and had to have my Daily Driver. Took back to the shop so he would have it in the morning. Shops going to put in a known balanced flywheel and check for no loctite on the questionable clutch install. The shop said I could buy the steel flywheel if thats what fixes it.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
So the shop is going to drop the trans and replace the flywheel??

Please tell me they checked resistance on the coils? Checked spark at each plug before they came to this conclusion?

Your post makes it sound like the shop is rolling you up, even if one of the mustangs at the shop had a drag chute on it.

tcdavis

Established Member
I mean no, i don't think they did a resist check. Part of reason I took to them was to get it fixed. I was about to spend 50 or 100 bucks on boots or coils or testers and what not and just caught wind of this great mustang guy very close by. But he seems pretty cool so far, guess today we'll know for sure

Users who are viewing this thread