Ok car or great car?

TIAMAT

Established Member
I have always been a ford freak and i'm looking into getting a small car that is alot of fun. I really want an SVT focus but the last Ford car i had was an svt contour. It was the biggest waste of money i've ever known. Constantly breaking down and totally untrustworthy. I want the focus but all i ever hear about the focus is all the recalls and and investigations into it's safety. I will get a small car in it's catagory. I was looking at the rsx-type s and subaru wrx. I know these cars are more expensive but are extremely reliable. I want to stay with Ford but don't want another lemon. Any info would be greatly appreciates.
Thanks, Jim:shrug:

AZ SVT

Established Member
Hi TIAMAT,

I wasn't a Ford fan before my Focus SVT (actually my wife's). I was pretty neutral about Fords after owning an '86 Sable and an '89 Mustang LX 5.0. Because of the Focus SVT I have since bought another Ford.

We haven't had any problems in 5k miles, which is also the most likely outcome if you purchase. Ford screwed up with some high percentage problems in earlier US Foci and that has brought close scrutiny from the media AND a hightened sensitivity to problems from Ford. So you hear more about any Focus problems, even rare ones, and Ford now publicizes/acknowledges Focus issues that other car companies don't or wouldn't. You are still more likely to have a problem with a Focus SVT than an Acusra RSX BUT not as much as the press would have you believe. I have driven the other cars you are considering prior to buying the Focus SVT and even with price aside, I prefer the SVT. The WRX is faster in a straight line (mostly from the AWD launch) but the SVT feels better than either of them in handling on the road and is a much better car for the track than the RSX-S. I might like the WRX better if I thought it looked decent so I am biased against it some for that reason.

I would buy the Focus SVT if I were you, particularly if you are feeling lucky, although you probably won't need much. ;)

x2svt

Established Member
The SVT Focus is a blast to drive and almost as fun as my Cobra...(Almost as in handling on the twisties):beer:

svtfocuspower

I've had my svt for 2 months now, and I love it. I would say either get the svt or the rsx type s. The type s is faster, but the svt has better handling. If you can find a wrx without markup, look at it too. test drive all 3, then decide which one to get.

Mike-SVT

Established Member
I picked up my Sonic Blue SVTF on June 5th and now have 7,100 trouble-free miles on it and like it better every time I drive it.

Very nimble and a blast to drive. Much quieter on the interior and vastly improved handling from my '96 Mustang GT. That six-speed is a hoot to row through.

Get one, you will like it.

Users who are viewing this thread