Ok I can't figure out this coolant leak.

brads1

Established Member
Been banging my head against a wall for over a month now trying to locate this leak...

I thought I had it pegged as some coolant was creeping by the crossover tube cap... So I replaced that, a week later coolant is still dripping out!

It drips from near the oil filter, drivers side...

Also you have to work to make it drip, car doesn't overheat, but on occasion on cool down it'll drip from that vicinity.

I've been driving the car and letting it cool all morning, it won't leak today... I also put a new rad cap on this morning, but I don't see how a new rad cap will keep it from leaking from under the car.

Is there a freeze plug? Where is it?

Only other thing I can think of is a cracked block, but I baby the car, it doesn't overheat... So IDK...

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
The adapter that holds the oil cooler, where the oil filter mounts, may be loose. You have to take the oil filter off, use a 1" (or so) socket and re-tighten it. Mine did the same thing.
Just a guess obviously since I cant see your car. ;)

brads1

Established Member
The adapter that holds the oil cooler, where the oil filter mounts, may be loose. You have to take the oil filter off, use a 1" (or so) socket and re-tighten it. Mine did the same thing.
Just a guess obviously since I cant see your car. ;)

I'm leaking coolant, not oil though. It just drops from that general area.

brads1

Established Member
Sounds like the oil cooler. There are some good threads on tightening it.

I looked at it today, dry as a bone... I drove the car on and off all day, no leak...

Only change I've made was the cap on the coolant res... maybe it lowered the pressure in the system and stopped the leak??

I'm taking the car to dinner tonight, 50 miles away... Jack/coolant/tools in the trunk... :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread