OK it finally happened - No Front plate citation

bradz2125

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm minding my own business driving yesterday doing exactly the speed limit and I pass a cop parked in a development. Sure enough he pulls me over and tell me its illegal not to have a front plate on your vehicle in the state of ohio. I have the plate on my dash and showed him but he wrote me the citation anyways and said I need to out one on before my court date which is wednesday. I'm not mad about paying the ticket but it sucks that I have to get holes drilled in my bumper now. Oh well. Oh yeah and after he wrote me the ticket he said "So do you have anything else to feel guilty about besides not having a front liscense plate?" I'm like "ummm No" He then said " We have on file in our department a car matching your description that was been seen driving reall fast around these parts for a while." And I said I have no idea what your talking about, lol. The cop was such a jerk so I just took my ticket and drove away....slowly

Pyro

Established Member
You should have told him, "YOU HAB NOTTING...YOU HEER MEE, NOTTING!" in an Al Capone type of way!

KDog

Established Member
I've seen a few threads discussed on here to mount the front license plate using a kit that bolts on without drilling into your bumper. Do a search, and I'm sure you'll find it.

Whether or not you'll have it by Wednesday is a different story. Good luck!

CuLaTeR

Established Member
You should have broke his jaw and put him in the cobra clutch. What wrestler used to use that? sgt slaughter? Wooohooo!!

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
Do you have to go to court?? Only if it states that it is required...

In NJ it is not required to go to court for "unclear plates"... I would just pay it and be on your way... though they might get you again...

I dont have my plate on the front, nor do I put it on my dash... my thought is that if they see the plate in the dash they will think to give you a ticket. I dont believe cops are out looking at all licence plates to make sure we have two on there. My car is yellow so that my help and the cop might second guess himself weather or not he saw a plate or not.

Good luck...

bradz2125

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
Yeah I could mail in a check but If I go to court and show them I have it fixed they could waive the citation fee and I would just pay courts fees which I would have to pay anyways if I mailed in the money. So I'm gonna go to court to try to save some dough. As for putting on the plate I have an appointment tommorrow at the dealer to install it. I live in the township that I got pulled over in and couldnt risk not having another citation for no plate cause they are definitely on the look out for me, especially now. Oh well.

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
I live in California with the same ass law. I would get the bailing wire out and attach real half ass and get it written off. As long as it is attached they can't say S@#t. Both my cars don't have one and it's been over 5 years since i have been cited. The other reason is the camera's at traffic signals. I don't want to help them out with thier tickets by mail. It sounds like the cop had it in for you and is trying to intimidate you. A lot of them are real control freaks.

Pyro

Established Member
Try Velcro. Radioshack has some heavy duty velcro-like stuff except it's made by 3M and it's designed to hold some serious $hit.

What's wrong with putting it on the windshield?? As long as it's visible to oncoming traffic.

OCCOBRA is right, the cop sounds like a control freak.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Originally posted by bradz2125
As for putting on the plate I have an appointment tommorrow at the dealer to install it.

Are you serious! You are taking your car to the dealership to put the front plate on>??? I hope that was a joke. Seriously now. -Mat-

Orange Poison

Established Member
Cop sounded like a rea dick.......

Definitely get one of them kits so you don't have to drill into your bumper. I always cringe silently when I see a Cobra with a Front license plate. I've got one of mine own waiting....in case I get cited.

And, once you get the ticket signed off......break out your rachet set and take the f%&ker off!

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I work for RadioShack. The Superlock Velcro is VERY strong, but I dont know if you would want to have that stuff sticking to your bumper.

Friendchicken

I used 2 way tape as an interm solution. Buy it at any hardware store. Lasts forever if you need it to. Comes of with care and a solvent.

Don't drill into the bumper!

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
get to know the service advisor, and if hes a cool guy, just ask him to write up a receipt saying that the dealer installed it for you, without touching your car....it worked for me...i still have the plate in my front window and got out of my ticket

03blackCOBRA

Civil PE
Established Member
Hey listen up! Go read the LAW in your state and see what it says. Cops are often wrong (judges too) and in Oregon many think it must be attached to the front bumper, but this IS NOT what the law says. Most car manufactures place the front holder attached to the front bumper so many think this is required. Again go read the LAWS of your state. If you know the LAW you have power in court. Hopefully your state is similar to Oregon and you can say it was displayed in the front windshield and you were following the LAW so take this ticket and shove it up the cops ass. Nothing in Oregon law talks about attaching or where it should be located. Again look up your states LAW. Here are Oregon's:

803.540 Failure to display plates; exceptions; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of failure to display registration plates if the person operates, on the highways of this state, any vehicle or camper that has been assigned registration plates by this state and the registration plates assigned to the vehicle or camper are displayed in a manner that violates any of the following:
(a) The plate must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle, if only one plate is required.
(b) Plates must be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle if two plates are required.
(c) The plates must be in plain view and so as to be read easily by the public.
(d) The plate must not be any plate that does not entitle the holder thereof to operate the vehicle upon the highways.
(2) A person is not in violation of this section if the person is operating a vehicle or camper under and in accordance with the requirements for any of the following:
(a) A temporary application permit issued under ORS 803.615.
(b) An agent temporary registration permit issued under ORS 803.625.
(c) Provisions established under ORS 826.007, 826.009 or 826.011 for the display of registration plates or other evidence of registration on vehicles that are proportionally registered under ORS 826.009 or 826.011.
(3) The offense described in this section, failure to display registration plates, is a Class D traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §261; 1985 c.668 §13; 1989 c.43 §28; 1995 c.383 §6]

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I got my arse ripped by a local leo for having the old Utah plate on the front of my hiboy. I told him I didnt realize that it was on there because our state only requires 1 plate, and I didnt think about it and thanked him for reminding me of it, I still havent takin it off because of him messing with me for it, he has known me my whole life and was just being a dick.

Users who are viewing this thread