OK, time to pulley

Black_Sunshine

Established Member
What's up fellas. Well, I am giving in sooner than I thought, I was thinking next spring, but I can not hold of. Looking to plleu it by the end of next month, so I can get ready for an SVTOA event. SO my question is, what is all I need for a pulley swap. I will be going with a 2.80, from whom, I have not decided. Probably some place where I can get everything at once. So, please fill in the blanks.

Pulley-2.80 steel(Non-slip?)
Tune-Pedator
Belt size and number?
Idlers-? if needed. How many? Sizes?
Plugs?-Gap?
Tensioner?
Puller?

That is what I know fo might be needed. If there is something else I need, or something that I listed that I do not need, please let me know. I have done a search, but I am looking am looking for the best prices also. Found the kit from RPM that has the pulley, 2 90mm idlers, Gtaorback, auxilary idler, and puller for $400. Good place to buy from, I have heard mixed opinions. Thank guys.

Peace...B_S

Last edited:

ALA G8R

Banned
Give Doug @ BilletFlow a ring.

Get a steel interchangeable hub. Get a 2.93 and a 2.76 (save money by getting both).

Idlers, get all 4. Get 2x100mm and 2x92mm. With these idlers and the 2.93, you can use the stock belt. Tensioner is right in the middle of its range.

With the same idler setup and a 2.76 you will need a 74.5in belt. Get a Gates belt.

Plugs. I have had great luck with Denso IT-20's. Gapped them at 0.038. No indication of spark blowout.

I have used an ASP puller, but it's showing its age. If you're buying a puller, get the BilletFlow puller.

Oh here's a pic.
Show%20time.JPG

JMHO,

Black_Sunshine

Established Member
Originally posted by ALA G8R
Give Doug @ BilletFlow a ring.

Idlers, get all 4. Get 2x100mm and 2x92mm. With these idlers and the 2.93, you can use the stock belt. Tensioner is right in the middle of its range.

JMHO,

Was just looking at Billet Flow. Amazon sells BFs products, right? Do I really need all those idlers. Seen people running 1 or 2 idlers with no problem. Not looking to spend a fortune right now. Looking to get a pulley with the Redfire color, so later on I can add the idlers of same color to kinda dress up the engine too. But right now, just looking for the basics. What you suggest is definatley something I want to do in the future, but finds are kinda limited right now, so you know, just tyring to get a few more ponies on the few little funds. Thanks for setting me up, as I willl do all that later.

Peace...B_S

Last edited:

cobra101

Established Member
If you are trying to save some cash, wait on the idlers. get the 2.8 and like a 73 1/2 gatorback belt. I think that is the right size for a no aux idler setup. Check the top of the messages in the forum and it has a belt size resource list.

I had great success with the amazon pulley puller. But again, if you're trying to save cash, post a message for a local owner to lend you a puller or swap the pulley with you. Borrowing a pulley puller should keep you under 150 bucks for the 2.8 and a belt.

Then you just need a predator. You mine as well get one with a custom tune in it already. Many vendors will supply custom predator tunes when you buy it from them (ie: runninwiththedevil.com and amazon.com).

Last edited:

Black_Sunshine

Established Member
Originally posted by cobra101
If you are trying to save some cash, wait on the idlers. get the 2.8 and like a 73 1/2 gatorback belt. I think that is the right size for a no aux idler setup. Check the top of the messages in the forum and it has a belt size resource list.

I don't mind having to buy an idler or 2 if I have to. Seems like that is the way everyone is going, at least 1 idler. Of course like I mentioned, I don't want to go cheap, just not all 4 idlers. One idler is fine with me if that is the way to keep a tighter wrap.

Thanks...B_S

ALA G8R

Banned
Wit a 2.93 or smaller get the aux idler to increase belt wrap and reduce belt slip. That's the only idler that you really need.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
The only idler you really need is the 100m idler by the blower with the bracket, With a non-slip pulley and the right size belt you wont have any slippage! 90mm are just direct replacments of the stock ones. I would go with a 2.80 or 2.93, NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .035, and predator or custom tune. I have the predator myself, good luck

stangfreak

Established Member
i agree with getting a interchangable pulley setup. i was going to do that as well, but the tracks are very far from where i live and dont have time. IMO, the 2.93 for the street is perfect. you want to have power on the street that repeats. of course the blower will heat soak after awhile but not like the smaller pulleys.

then when you go to the track, swap it out to a 2.75 or a 2.80. you just got to give it time to cool down a bit inbetween the runs. many guys have gotten great times with the 2.93 on the track but the 2.80 gives you that extra tq.

iv had the chance to test out many pulleys on my car.

the 3.0 was awesome for the street, but it lacked tq down low. the 2.80 was freakin AMAZING . that pulley was a beast on the car BUT on my car it died out so fast i didnt enjoy the car. the 2.93 is whats on my car now and love it. it produces nice low end tq, doesnt heat the blower up as much as the 2.80 and the power tends to repeat a bit longer than the 2.80

Black_Sunshine

Established Member
Thanks for all your help fellas. This is one area of the car that I definately needed help with.

Originally posted by stangfreak
the 3.0 was awesome for the street, but it lacked tq down low. the 2.80 was freakin AMAZING . that pulley was a beast on the car BUT on my car it died out so fast i didnt enjoy the car. the 2.93 is whats on my car now and love it. it produces nice low end tq, doesnt heat the blower up as much as the 2.80 and the power tends to repeat a bit longer than the 2.80

What do you mean the 2.8 died out on your car? The boost dropped off to quick?

Thanks...B_S

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
My pulley set up. Very basic but gets results:

2.80 non slip upper pulley
100MM auxilary idler. The 3 billet idlers are not necessary.
Gates K080745 belt
NGK TR6 gapped at .040
Stock tensioner
ASP puller
Predator custom tune AFR 12.2ish<4500 11.5>4500 at 02 bung
22* timimg

The result was 458/483 SAE

Not a lot of flash but it works. If you are in to bling I think the billetflow set up looks the best and works well.

mavado007

Established Member
LFP has a 2.80 and/or 2.93 interchangeable anti-slip upper pulley kit. I believe I read a thread here on SVT they were on sale for $89.00. I think that would be for 1 of the two pullies.
You don't need the other idlers unless after adding the blower idler kit you want all the pullies to match.
When you add the Idler kit your belt will have to go from stock 74.5 to 75.5.
When you call Mark will varify the belt needed. Don't do a Gatorback with the anti-slip pullies. I made that mistake and powdered my belt in about 200+ miles :)

stangfreak

Established Member
most of my time was spent on the street. so driving around with the 2.80, the car felt like a wet noodle after awhile. the car just didnt pull anymore. supercharger got heat soak. now with the 2.93 i rip down the street and the power level seems to stay longer.

when i had the 2.80 my supercharger got HOT. im talken about egg frying, steak cooking hot. my supercharger still gets hot with the 2.93 but i can rest my hand on it longer than i did with the smaller pulley. i wont lie, i miss the 2.80 pulley bc of the tq. many people use the 2.93 for the street then go lower on the track.

fubu795

Banned
KC, I have the rpmoutlet pulley package and I love it. Very good quality products, never had a single problem. Pick yourself up a pair of et streets, you think you have traction problems now?? Wait till the pulley is on, the tires wont stop spinning, lol. Let me know about that SVTOA event, I will request off work and will definitly be going, you got my cell #.

Later, Dan............

mavado007

Established Member
Heat soak

After running awhile I to would experience the " soft " feel. Like it lost it's getup and go. Boost guage showed me lossing 2-3 #'s of boost.
I picked up one of LFP's new EXtreme heat exchangers and no more power loss.
The Idler also is a big help with belt slip which also is a big culprit to lost power when running hard or a smaller pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread