Ok to remove chip?

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
I am wondering if it would be safe to remove my chip so I can limp the car down the the smog check station. I failed an emissions test even though the car has stock cats. I'm pretty sure the car will pass on the stock tune. Will my car run too poorly or throw a CEL without the chip in?

If I do pull the chip should I also disconnect the Mafia?

mods: mafia, diablo chip, 2.8, port, bap, throttle body/plenum

thanks

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Well, you can try. Make sure the key's out of ignition when you take out chip. The mafia may need to be set to stock though. Kinda risky man. Check with your tuner. There's no good reason why it won't pass if its tuned right and you have cats. I mean if they do a visual you got the proof and tune should not need to have rear 02's shut off anyhow. I know here in PA they plug into OBD2 and as long as readiness monitors and good to go and no current or pending codes you pass and you even have cats so you can say its there!

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
I disconnected the battery and yanked the chip and the mafia. The car bugged out when I started it while the computer tried to re-learn what was going on. After that it ran fine. All I have to do is coast down the the smog check tomorrow.

There's no good reason why it won't pass if its tuned right and you have cats.
I live in southern California so the emissions standards are strict. I passed every catagory except for the 25mph NO level.

Users who are viewing this thread