Old Predator tune question

jordanvraptor

Established Member
I have the R12 tune now, but in many ways I liked the original tune better. Does anyone have a copy of the file of the orginal Cobra tune? I think it was version 7 or something like that. If so send me a PM and I'll give you my email. I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

Modular Freak

Established Member
you like it better cause it was more aggressive than the newest update and probably made more power. i have heard and been told that the old predator tune had as much as 26 degrees of timing in it, which would explain many peoples detonation problems. the r12.d is said to only have low 20 and as low as 19 degrees of timing which wouldn't yield as much power.

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
Why don't you just up the timing? You can do this yourself with the predator. A good rule is to do it on the dyno. Start increasing the timing and when you see it is no longer making additional power, back off to the last setting.

jordanvraptor

Established Member
I had tried upping the timing by 5% and it still stayed at 19* at WOT. This is why I wanted the old tune. However, today I increased timing in 4-6k range to 10% and it holds at 22* now. Guess I was just nervous about maxing out the adjustment range. Guess those early complaints about pinging made Diablo go really conservative in the updated tunes. I never had a problem with the old tune though...

I've also noticed, on average, a loss of 2 mph at the track between the old pulley tune and the new R12. Hopefully at 22* now I will get some of that back.

Last edited:

jordanvraptor

Established Member
Mods are in my sig at the top of page, but its the basic 2.93 pulley, predator, filter, and catback. I use the 2.93 Lightning pulley with a tensioner. I haven't dynoed since installing the pulley but plan to soon.

My previous best at the track was just after installing the pulley. 12.275 @114.5. Key to low time is good launch and our local track isn't known for its stickiness and I run on street tires. Bridgestone Expedia S-03's to be precise. The day I got that was March 15th of this year. It might have been a little cooler and it was daytime while now I run at night at Street Legal Drag nights. When I got my best run I had run at 114 mph numerous times.

Now, with the new R12 tune I run an average speed of 111 or 112 mph. I get 12.5 E.T. times but, again, thats more due to launch conditions. It might be possible I am getting a little belt slip up top due to a worn belt but I think it is the new tune that caused the mph loss. If this new setting at 22* is safe with no pinging, then I will run again this Saturday night. I think I will hold off on getting a new belt so I can eliminate one issue at a time to figure out what caused the low mph.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread