older Z06 vs newer Z06

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I was on my way home from work the other day when up ahead I see a red C6 Z06 trying to make his way through traffic. I figured I'd never get a chance to get near him, but as luck would have it, traffic seemed to clear away for me, while he's somewhat pinned in, and we both get into the right turn lane as it goes green for a right turn. It's absolutely clear to me that he's game because he makes the turn at such a high rate of speed that I'm having difficulty keeping up, the tail end sliding just a tad. One car is up ahead and then the light turns red for us. It's not a perfect situation since the other car is already in the left of two lanes, with him in the right lane and me just behind him. The light turns green and we both do a normal start, but I jump a bit just to show him I'm game too. Then he hits it hard, and I follow suit. Unfortunately, this is a bit of a rough road, so I'm having a hard time getting traction and I'm sure he is too, so this encounter is more of "who can get traction" race than it is an all out push.

I can't gain any ground, but then he isn't going anywhere either. The initial gap that he got when he gunned it is maintained. Unfortunately that's when our fun ended, because we had to slow down for traffic. Or at least I did. He didn't seem to mind going by cars like they were standing still, but I just can't do that. We ran from about 10 mph to about 80 mph before I backed out completely. It was thrilling since this was among the few times I've even seen a C6 Z06, much less had one with a driver willing to drop the hammer. :banana: I'd thought about it before, but now I'm seriously thinking about getting some 555RII's :rolling:

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
Good story. Sometimes there is just not the right time/place to let it loose. Good call backing off and fun either way.

Z06

Established Member
nice man, didnt notice your numbers a while back! should of been a good race if you got a clean run!

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Oh... stock LS6 long block, long tube headers, SQ (super quiet) version of the Vortech S-Trim running at ~6 psi running through a single FMIC, 91 octane pump. It's anywhere, anytime horsepower :)

TrickStang37

Established Member
I was on my way home from work the other day when up ahead I see a red C6 Z06 trying to make his way through traffic. I figured I'd never get a chance to get near him, but as luck would have it, traffic seemed to clear away for me, while he's somewhat pinned in, and we both get into the right turn lane as it goes green for a right turn. It's absolutely clear to me that he's game because he makes the turn at such a high rate of speed that I'm having difficulty keeping up, the tail end sliding just a tad. One car is up ahead and then the light turns red for us. It's not a perfect situation since the other car is already in the left of two lanes, with him in the right lane and me just behind him. The light turns green and we both do a normal start, but I jump a bit just to show him I'm game too. Then he hits it hard, and I follow suit. Unfortunately, this is a bit of a rough road, so I'm having a hard time getting traction and I'm sure he is too, so this encounter is more of "who can get traction" race than it is an all out push.

I can't gain any ground, but then he isn't going anywhere either. The initial gap that he got when he gunned it is maintained. Unfortunately that's when our fun ended, because we had to slow down for traffic. Or at least I did. He didn't seem to mind going by cars like they were standing still, but I just can't do that. We ran from about 10 mph to about 80 mph before I backed out completely. It was thrilling since this was among the few times I've even seen a C6 Z06, much less had one with a driver willing to drop the hammer. :banana: I'd thought about it before, but now I'm seriously thinking about getting some 555RII's :rolling:

It seems like 1/2 the C6's I see are Z06's around here.

Quik Z06

Established Member
I noticed with my Nitto's that when it's cold out they make my car wheel hop like crazy. I dont know it was that with a combination of them getting worn too. Im going to try some different DR's come next summer. Unfortunately I wont be able to get a 335 like the Nitto's, I'll probably go with a 315 BFG.

You definitely need some DR's at that power level, I think you would have beat him pretty easily. I know one day I seen like 3 C6Z's but everytime they were going the wrong way or there was too much traffic. Lol, not that I dont know the outcome already with the 99 :D

jeffs

Established Member
that sounds like a tight race you should have pulled him over and set up a GREAT race outside of town with no traffic, good call on knowing when to slow for traffic. It's super hard to let off especially if it's close or even.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Nice tie. With traction you probably would have taken him without too much of a fuss, although watch out if he's even a little modded. I ran into one and got a similar race to yours, only didn't get up to 80 because of traffic. They don't seem to pull down low anywhere near the way they do up top because I was on his bumper up to about 65 where we let off, and I'm not making your power by any means.

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I would have loved to talk to the driver, but by the time I pulled up to the next light there were already cars between us, so I decided to continue on home instead of trying to get up next to him.

PSM, my guess is gearing. Down low, even a lightly modded LS1 Z28 should be making enough power so that acceleration is limited by traction. In the upper gears, though, that's when the horsepower/weight kicks in.

16kOrBust

Established Member
PSM, my guess is gearing. Down low, even a lightly modded LS1 Z28 should be making enough power so that acceleration is limited by traction. In the upper gears, though, that's when the horsepower/weight kicks in.
Yeah, you're definitely right. Those things are geared 100% for top end. Race one from 10-60 and some people won't be impressed, race one from 80 on up and I hope you're packing some major hp. :)

Users who are viewing this thread