OMFG fill tube.. racers please read.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
*** car has the no cap fill tube***

So I am going back over seas for another 5-7 months. I wanted to put some octane booster and fuel treatment in while the car goes back into the garage. Wife cant drive a stick so shes just gonna start it once a week or so.

Went to put in the octane booster in at the fuel tank... drained the WHOLE bottle in the fill tube thinking it opened BUT it didn't and it all went out the over fill tube or vent w/e it is. So i realized that there are 2 lil tabs in the fill tube that i guess unlock the fill tube to open. No biggie I bought another bottle of booster and a funnel. Cut the funnel down to where when I put it in the fill tube it pushes the 2 tabs in but the fill tube didn't open... GRRRR get a long screw driver and push the fill tube thing open and then pour the octane booster in no issues.

Is there any special funnel out there for this? something I can just push into the fill tube and not have to use a screw driver?

here is a lil video to help. its not the best but it will do.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNm1TGM4Nbs"]YouTube - ‪fill tube issue‬‏[/nomedia]

ideas?

Last edited:

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
You do know there is a plastic fill tube that comes with the car for when you have to use a gas can? I think it is in the trunk under the mat. There is a sticker on the gas fill lid.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
get a skinnier and longer funnel :shrug:

Thats the thing, should have mentioned that. The funnel was originally longer and got skinny BUT you have to push the tabs FIRST before the actual tube will open. I love the capless fill tube b/c nothing more I hate than to be at the gas station filling up with the cap hanging by a lil piece of plastic smacking the side of the car. Just wish it was easier (not that this isnt easy) to put in octane booster or w/e I wish.

These are just made up measurements but lets say the tabs no pressed in are 1.5" apart and when they are pressed in the distance between the 2 are 1.25". But the fill tube door thing is 1" so the 1.25" funnel will press in the tabs but wont open the door. see what im saying?

maybe a 2 piece spring loaded funnel. the tip is spring loaded so when pressed on the lil door it pushes into the funnel but once the tabs are pressed in the spring loaded part of the funnel will open the door. :rockon: damn i need the stuff to make things around here.

R1CH_P

Established Member
You do know there is a plastic fill tube that comes with the car for when you have to use a gas can? I think it is in the trunk under the mat. There is a sticker on the gas fill lid.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^
I added octane booster right after I bought mine cuz the dealer put 87 in it. There is a special funnel for this gas tank in the trunk :thumbsup:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
^^^^^THIS^^^^^
I added octane booster right after I bought mine cuz the dealer put 87 in it. There is a special funnel for this gas tank in the trunk :thumbsup:

SWEET!!!! Thanks guys I found it under the ugliest spare tire I have EVER seen...at least I have one though... lol in your face brembo guys lol.

D98GT

Established Member
I found this out the hardway too at the racetrack haha. I had removed the spare/jack/etc at the house prior to heading that way then decided to use a gallon of 102; the concrete got a wash down haha

Users who are viewing this thread