OMFG I ALMOST DIED !!!!!

Ram Rod

Got Truck?
Established Member
OMFG I ALMOST DIED !!!!!!!!
To make a long story short I went to my girls house about 18 miles north on I-95 and I noticed a slight vib in my car and shrugged it off thinking I needed a balance done to the rims.
Stayed a bit at her house and left going south on I-95. The vibe is getting real bad now, I was thinking WTF. I pulled over to inspect and being dark out I just felt the tires to see if any were flat, nope none were so I carried on. Got off the off ramp and headed down Williamson Blvd. and and going ten under the speed limit 60 so I was going 50. Ahead not even 4 miles away from my house I hit bump in the road and thats when all hell broke loose.....LITERALY. My right rear tire just about rips off my car and I manage to get it controlled over to a stop on the side of the road. I get out and saw the my tire was very close to the fender well and I asumed I broke a half shaft. I call my brother and he heades up with a flash light and we inspect. I have lost all but one lug still attached to the stud, and all the other lugs and studs are broke off.

One lug holding my tire on. OMFG

I have just bought these AFS 10.5 inch rims and its F-ed.
I have the extended reach lugs and 1/4 inch spacer. WTF

Please let me know what you think, I am still in shock.

P.S.
To make things worse I had to leave my car with the tow company so I can meet up with them tomorrow morn, and then we are off to ford.
I dont like the fact the my car is at the towing compound.

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
Well...the important thing is that you didn't die. I had something similar happen, however I was more lucky. My lugs didn't fall off before I found they were very loose.

Who put your new wheels on?

--Matt

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Glad you ok and hope you get your baby back soon. I hope you retorqued your wheels after you put them on the first time. You need to do that after the first few miles and then every 50 or so a couple times to just make sure. Also...maybe someone was f*ucking with you and loosened or took the other lugnuts off.

Sorry this happend dude.

Hot Rod Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

lifter213

Established Member
I think either your lugs werent tight or someone tried to steal your wheels. That exact same thing happened to me in the GT except all the lugs ripped off and i broke every single one of the studs on that drivers side back wheel! The entire wheel came off but it didnt come out from underneth the car because since it was lowered it was inside the fender. The rotor was laying on the wheel when i pulled over and the inside of the wheel was screwed. I had it towed and found some scratches on the wheel around the lugs like someone was messing with it. I think they just couldnt get the locking lug off so left the others loose. Anyways good luck and hopefully you'll get it back and running again :beer:

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Was the one that was left on the one with the lock on it? It may have been someone trying to steal your wheels.

What HotRodHarry said, you have to tighten them a couple of times when you first put them on. When you get the car this process has already been done during testing.

Ram Rod

Got Truck?
Established Member
I had dicount tire put them on.I have been going to them for years and I am well known since I by tons of tires for this tire eating car of mine and never had a problem with them. I just dont know how this could happen the only lug that was left was not my theft det. one, just a reg lug nut.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by 2K1_SVT

I have just bought these AFS 10.5 inch rims and its F-ed.
I have the extended reach lugs and 1/4 inch spacer. WTF

Please let me know what you think, I am still in shock.

I think non-hubcentic spacers are dangerous. But they probably didn't torque those lugs.

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
damn at least ur ok .....coming back from spring break a freind of mine had changed his two front tires on his civic and on the way up on I-75 the left rear tire blew and he spun out and all this other shit happened ....at the end he actually totalled the car but hes alright and now i have him looking into mustangs =0]

coleman

Established Member
i guess we might need eight more sets of locking lugs ... geez!
either that or someone didn't tighten them down correctly -- or at all.

how long ago did you have them mounted?

Ram Rod

Got Truck?
Established Member
I had them on for about 4 months and I believe they torqed them to 95 ft pounds. I just got my car back from Ford and the bill was billed to DISCOUNT, yes they had to cover the bill, it was 152.00 with labor. That sucks at least I did not have to pay it.

I am still a little pi$$ed because the towing company f-ed my unside of the front bumper from the tow rope wire. Its scratched to hell. UGHHHHHH IT NEVER ENDS!!!!!

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by 2K1_SVT
I had them on for about 4 months and I believe they torqed them to 95 ft pounds. I just got my car back from Ford and the bill was billed to DISCOUNT, yes they had to cover the bill, it was 152.00 with labor. That sucks at least I did not have to pay it.

I am still a little pi$$ed because the towing company f-ed my unside of the front bumper from the tow rope wire. Its scratched to hell. UGHHHHHH IT NEVER ENDS!!!!!

Well the tow company thing is very unfortunate... ar they doing to cover that?

However I think you got treated VERY well by Discount. If the rims have been on the car for 4 months... I would find it hard to blame Discount for them being loose. I guess they took care of you because you are a repeat customer.

Users who are viewing this thread