OMG! Another stereo question(problem)

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
My subs quit hitting on the way home. The amp has power the rca and speaker wires are not broken. So either the amp is not passing along the signal, or the stereo is not. I have an Alpine amp and deck and all of the settings have not changed. My question is can I check the stereo rca outputs with a voltmeter. If so what voltage should I be looking for. If it is not the stereo how can I check to see if the amp is working correctly. The closest stereo shop is 1/2 hour away and I won't be able to go for a week.

I would appreciate any help.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
I figured the subs were fine. I don't know how to tell if the stereo is sending the signals to the amp.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
I have a y-connector 1/8 male headphone on one side and 2 male rca's on the other. Can I use my mp3 player to check the amp.

NA97GT

Established Member
Im a professional installer. From my experience if the amp stopped working while driving, its may be a power or ground problem. Check the power and ground connections at the amp with either a multimeter, test light, light bult etc. I can walk you through anything else once you check that. ( btw lots of amps may light up with only the remote wire hooked up)

Last edited:

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
ok. Thanks for the tip about the light. I will double check everything tomorrow. I didn't have much time to mess with it today, it rained off and on.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Im a professional installer. From my experience if the amp stopped working while driving, its may be a power or ground problem. Check the power and ground connections at the amp with either a multimeter, test light, light bult etc. I can walk you through anything else once you check that. ( btw lots of amps may light up with only the remote wire hooked up)

Agreed. Something easier to check that is also a possibility....fuse :bash: Took me 2 hours following every wire to finally take a look at the fuse in the amp....it was blown

NA97GT

Established Member
lol did you just guess? Amplifiers are made to take extensive load before they blow, ive never had any amps ive used let it be a cheap or expensive one let go on me, just cut out and reset.
amps dont blow on their own generally

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member

+1 check the ground, and fuses if it just stopped cold

LSUstang05

Established Member
My vote, like many others, is for the ground. I had my sub randomly stop hitting and it was that the ground came loose.

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member

+100.24

From what the OP said this ^ is the problem.

I think it is your ground. Clean the spot where the ground cable is attached to. Stripping the paint will also help out. Make sure the gauge of the ground wire isn't too small and make sure it is tightly secured to a the car because if the cable wiggles it will not make good ground. I'd recommend grounding the cable to the area along the side where the spare tire is located.

This SHOULD take care of the problemo.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
do you have the 30 amp in line fuse block? check those if you do....

check both fuses. You should have one bigger one in line off the battery and then a smaller one actually IN the amp where all the wires connect. My vote is for the in line, but I would check both. I personally don't think the ground would just come off, but it is a possibility...I've seen it happen when not installed well, but usually it's a fuse.

Last edited:

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
This amp has 2 small fuses and there is a 100amp fuse between the battery and the amp. all three are fine. The ground is fine the wire is only 6" long and firmly connected. As soon as I get done at work I will check the 12v connections. I didn't realize that the remote wire could keep the led of the amp on.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
If you've already checked the fuses, then go through with a voltmeter and check all the power sources and grounds. As for your RCA cables, you can check those too. Just look on the head units box and see what the pre-amp output is. What you get should be close to that.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
This amp has 2 small fuses and there is a 100amp fuse between the battery and the amp. all three are fine. The ground is fine the wire is only 6" long and firmly connected. As soon as I get done at work I will check the 12v connections. I didn't realize that the remote wire could keep the led of the amp on.

hmmmmm.... weird :??:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
If you've already checked the fuses, then go through with a voltmeter and check all the power sources and grounds. As for your RCA cables, you can check those too. Just look on the head units box and see what the pre-amp output is. What you get should be close to that.

also check to see if the sub wires are connected. When my subs sometimes kicked out it would be due to the wires breaking off the voice coils clips

Users who are viewing this thread