On my 2nd motor, and this one is burning lots of oil, too. Please help!

Craig Mack

Lightning > Cobra > Max
Established Member
My 1st motor spun a bearing because it burned up all it's oil and ran on very low oil undetected for too long. (I had no pulley or anything on this motor). I got it replaced less than a year ago with a remanufactored factory motor from ford. Now this one is starting to burn oil as well. I change my oil every 3000 miles and everytime I get it changed it is always at the bare minimum line. I just had my oil changed about 1,000 miles ago, and just checked my dipstick and it's not far above the minimum line. Today as I started my truck, tiny bits of oil shot of the exhaust and got all over my friends leg. She rubbed the black marks and they were wet, indicating it was oil.

I have a 6lb. pulley/ Diablo tune on this motor with a Mac exhaust. I am getting fed up and have no idea why it is again burning oil. It's a different motor. I don't think it's the pulley b/c the 1st motor ate oil and it had the stock pulley. I am getting sick of it and have no idea what could be wrong. could someone please help. :cuss:

Craig Mack

Lightning > Cobra > Max
Established Member
Lightningfr said:
did you put the oil plug back on?

looool. are you talking about the bolt underneathe the truck that you take off to drain the oil??? I have shops change my oil, so yes I assume they put everything back together correctly. And there are never any puddles or anything of oil underneath my truck after leaving it sitting overnight.

Craig Mack

Lightning > Cobra > Max
Established Member
Lightningfr said:
lol just checking...
i herd that its "normal" for them to burn 1qt per 1k miles..
industy standard..

Hmm...mine is burning more than that. Could it be in my tune? Maybe I am running hog rich?? But then again, I got it dynoed when I had the pulley put on last year and it showed it was actually running a tad lean if anything.

Hmmmmmm

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Craig Mack said:
Hmm...mine is burning more than that. Could it be in my tune? Maybe I am running hog rich?? But then again, I got it dynoed when I had the pulley put on last year and it showed it was actually running a tad lean if anything.

Hmmmmmm
Running rich or lean should not affect oil consumption. Usually vehicles burn oil either because of bad gaskets somewhere or incorrect piston clearance in the cylinders. There are other possibilities but I have found these two to be the most common if you don't have a hole anywhere dripping out. Other people with more experience may be more help though.

Edit: Another possiblity is for oil to leak through the valves, i.e. down the valve stems because of incorrect tolerances.

Last edited:

briman75

Established Member
A remanfucatured engine from ford has a 3 year 36000 miles warranty. take it to them and ask for a new one. lol

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
The OIL you think shot out of the tailpipe was not oil....it was simply sooty water from the cats........

Bootie

Established Member
Lightningfr said:
lol just checking...
industy standard..
I think you heard wrong. :dw:

No way whatsoever.

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
Lightningfr said:
lol just checking...
industy standard..
I guess I have never had a "Normal" Motor. I have never had a vehicle burn oil on me at all.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
pitstain said:
The OIL you think shot out of the tailpipe was not oil....it was simply sooty water from the cats........

+1. Seriously. If your truck shot out drops of oil like that you'd have bigger problems.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
+1 on sooty water.

If oil was shooting out like that, followed by clouds of blue smoke I think you'd definently know something was up.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
First of all do you have an oil seperator??? Are you on the truck all the time, could it be going into the s/c thru the pcv?
If not take all the mods off the truck and put it back to stock, flash the stock tune into the truck and drive it around. Go easy with the truck (i.e. not jumping on the gas every chance you get) and see if you are still low on oil. If you are give ford a call and take it back in.
Remember 3rd times the charm..... atleast in my case it was

briman75

Established Member
dude i recently put a remanufactured ford engine in my 99 and it came with a 3 year 36000 mile warranty. Take the mods off flash it to stock and take it to ford to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread