On/off temps for low and high speed FAN?

mnetwork

Established Member
I just purchased a 2003 Cobra with 69k miles. I was going over the car (looking for head ticks, trying everything out, etc) and the car was idling and I noticed the radiator fan was on. It was probably only about 40 degrees out at the time. My question is what are the stock temps for a cobra's fan. What is the turn on/shut off temps for low speed and for high speed. I was letting idle for a while and the fan just stayed on which worried me. At first I was trying out the AC, so I assumed that the fan was on because of the AC, but then I switched to heat and the fan stayed on. I didn't watch it for too too long, but I was out there for a good 10 minutes. Should I be worrying the car is running too hot?

I am very weary of overheating issues because of my last car... and I was looking for some input on this. I went through two motor rebuilds and every kind of diagnostic and mod on my last car and I was never able to fix the overheating. My last car would overheat to a point where you usually wouldn't see it on the stock gauge, but if you were logging it would always be much hotter than it should be. I would think a Cobra's stock gauge wouldn't yield much information either and I don't have my SCT X3 yet.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
does your car have an aftermarket tune with the fan temps set to turn on lower? cause from the factory the high temp needs to see over 200 before it will kick on..

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Fear not, there are things you can do to enhance the cooling on these cars.
Good thing too or I would not be able to open track with mine, and that's what I bought it for.

One of them for city conditions is lower fan kick points.

When you get your Xcal you will be able to datalog for many different things plus you will be able to adjust some of the parameters you tuner plugged in.

A search may possibly turn up some fan kick point temps while you are waiting for responses in this thread.

mnetwork

Established Member
does your car have an aftermarket tune with the fan temps set to turn on lower? cause from the factory the high temp needs to see over 200 before it will kick on..

I don't see how, the car did not come with a handheld. The previous owner said he believed the owner before him had a tune done at Mustang Magic, but I don't see how that would be possible when there is no tuner with the car.

Fear not, there are things you can do to enhance the cooling on these cars.
Good thing too or I would not be able to open track with mine, and that's what I bought it for.

One of them for city conditions is lower fan kick points.

When you get your Xcal you will be able to datalog for many different things plus you will be able to adjust some of the parameters you tuner plugged in.

A search may possibly turn up some fan kick point temps while you are waiting for responses in this thread.

IF the car is running extra hot that worries me as it was cold when the car was running. No cooling mods should need to be done on a pretty much stock car in the winter.

DarkMach1

Established Member
I dislike our stock temp guages they're pretty useless. Im not sure about the cobra but in the machs the temps are on@210/off@200, I believe the high is 220/210, when I tuned my car the tuner set it 10*s lower so 200/190, 210/200. When I factory coolant overflow cap went and sucked air into the system I was using my programmer and temps were in the 230s* and my stock guage was in normal. Get a tuner.

haskett

Established Member
I don't see how, the car did not come with a handheld. The previous owner said he believed the owner before him had a tune done at Mustang Magic, but I don't see how that would be possible when there is no tuner with the car.

It could have been tuned and the handheld not given to you.

mnetwork

Established Member
I dislike our stock temp guages they're pretty useless. Im not sure about the cobra but in the machs the temps are on@210/off@200, I believe the high is 220/210, when I tuned my car the tuner set it 10*s lower so 200/190, 210/200. When I factory coolant overflow cap went and sucked air into the system I was using my programmer and temps were in the 230s* and my stock guage was in normal. Get a tuner.

I'm going to bring an OBD scanner when I pick it up and watch coolant temps.

It could have been tuned and the handheld not given to you.

That is true, but then wouldn't the scanner be unusable on another car?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
The previous owner said he believed the owner before him had a tune done at Mustang Magic, but I don't see how that would be possible when there is no tuner with the car.
It's not necessary for a handheld to be used to reflash the computer. Likely the fan settings we're set too low when the car was retuned which is somewhat common.
I dislike our stock temp guages they're pretty useless.
Agreed.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I like my aeroforce gauge for this reason. The stock temp needle normally stays in the same area, but the aeroforce is digital so I see my temps go up and down often, especially in stop and go traffic. During this time the stock needle doesn't move.

On a side note, I have a predator and was wondering if my tuner even changed the fan settings, easy to do?

mnetwork

Established Member
It's not necessary for a handheld to be used to reflash the computer. Likely the fan settings we're set too low when the car was retuned which is somewhat common.Agreed.

You can flash these cars without a handheld? I never knew that. What software is used for that? Who does that?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
You can flash these cars without a handheld? I never knew that. What software is used for that? Who does that?

Numerous like Diablo CMR, SCT Livewire etc.. Both companies make a flip chip to hold multiple tunes that plugs into the J-Port of the ECU, pull the passenger side kick panel off and inspect..
And BDubbs changing fan temps in the Predator is a breeze..
Scroll through the icons and highlight "Modify tune" also check to see if your tire revolutions are correct, measure the height in inches and multiply it by the formula in the owners manual..
I have my fan set to..
High speed on 194
High speed off 190
Low speed on 190
Low speed off 186

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Numerous like Diablo CMR, SCT Livewire etc.. Both companies make a flip chip to hold multiple tunes that plugs into the J-Port of the ECU, pull the passenger side kick panel off and inspect..
And BDubbs changing fan temps in the Predator is a breeze..
Scroll through the icons and highlight "Modify tune" also check to see if your tire revolutions are correct, measure the height in inches and multiply it by the formula in the owners manual..
I have my fan set to..
High speed on 194
High speed off 190
Low speed on 190
Low speed off 185

Great info, do you know what the factory fan settings are by chance? Then I'll know if my tuner changed it.

haskett

Established Member
I like my aeroforce gauge for this reason. The stock temp needle normally stays in the same area, but the aeroforce is digital so I see my temps go up and down often, especially in stop and go traffic. During this time the stock needle doesn't move.

On a side note, I have a predator and was wondering if my tuner even changed the fan settings, easy to do?

I overheated my engine into limp-home mode multiple times and the stock gauge never moved out of the normal range. I now have Aeroforce gauges for the same reason.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1, stock gauge is a hit or miss, usually a miss. But OP, even in 40 degree weather, let the engine run for 20 mins and touch it...actually don't. It'll still get really warm to the point you can't touch it. I'm pretty sure you know that. But when you get your tuner, i would datalog and adjust the high fan on and low fan on. Maybe try reburping the system, just incase. Also get the 170 stat from Reische/Lethal Performance.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
pretty damm high, over 200 for high speed

:beer: I'll check mine when it's out of hybernation, and prolly do the same settings as you, if mine are still on the stock settings.

murse

Established Member
Premium Member

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I believe stock settings don't turn the low on until 206° :uh oh:

If you're still running the stock thermostat just make sure both speeds are off by 188° or higher otherwise the fan will run too much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread