? on setting tps

00rsvtl

Established Member
before adjusting the tps,should i back the idle adjustment screw all the way out so the throttle body is completely closed ,set the tps and the turn it back up to the idle speed i want,or set the idle speed and the adjust the tps?

DSMRacer121

Established Member
You should adjust the TPS with that screw in its proper position. That screw isnt an idle speed screw it's a minimum air screw which is different. Turning that screw won't admust your idle speed the computer controls that. Adjusting that screw can play havoc with the way your truck runs. It will change your TPS voltage, and can effect how you computer controls idle speed. The only way to adjust the TPS voltage is if the TPS has slots where the mounting screws go. The way to adjust your minimum air properly is to dissconect your IAC valve, and turn that screw until the truck idles at the right speed which is around 500rpm, as soon as you reconnect the IAC motor the idle speed will go up. MAke sure your throllte body is clean before you try adjusting either the TPS or minimum air rate.

00rsvtl

Established Member
my tps voltage is way off.i have tried drilling the tps and adjusting it but i still cannot get it close to were it is supposed to be.the screw that holds the throttle body open is still set the way i was when the stock throttle body was on.the idle is above 500 rpm's.the only opotion i can see is to adjust the screw to close the tb to lower the rpm's.set the tps and then reset the computer.

00rsvtl

Established Member
i checked my idle.it is about 700 rpms.so with the motor running i should unplug the wire to the iac.adjust the minimum air screw to drop the rpm's to about 500.then plug the iac back in and let it run for a little while then shut is off and set the tps to the correct setting,clear the computer the restart the truck so it can relearn

DSMRacer121

Established Member
When you unplug the IAC the idle will drop on its won cuz that closes off an air bleed around the throttle plate. If your voltage is too high you could have a gummed up throttle body so make sure its clean...and then if you cant get the tps adjustment right with a clean throttle body and correct minimum air rate, you need a new tps

00rsvtl

Established Member
all writeup's say to set tps to .99-.98. engine off key on.mt t/b is clean and i do have a brand new tps on the t/b.

Users who are viewing this thread